Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   New to Oncidiums - is this leaf blotching normal? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/106971-oncidiums-leaf-blotching-normal.html)

mvmgems 06-01-2021 10:23 PM

New to Oncidiums - is this leaf blotching normal?

3 Attachment(s)
I just got this severely dehydrated but otherwise healthy-looking Oncidium Irish Mist “Wintergreen.” Since I’m not familiar with this alliance, could I get a sanity check?

1. Pseudobulb is slightly browner than leaves, and has some raised white bulbs and fine brown specks.

2. Leaf tips and edges have brown specks and streaks, and one has round yellow spots.

3. All leaves are mottled dark and lighter green.

estación seca 06-01-2021 10:47 PM

That one looks worse than most. I would contact the seller and tell them my concerns.

There are many things it could be. Spider mite attack, old or current, is one possible cause. Inadequate fertilization is another.

Viral infection is impossible to identify without doing a virus test. Completely normal-appearing plants may be virused, and plants that look very badly may not be infected.

mvmgems 06-01-2021 11:41 PM

Well good news I ordered virus test strips last week (I have a degree in molecular biology so at-home science is right up my alley). I’ll keep it at the office in the meantime.

Thanks for being so responsive to all my questions!

Shadeflower 06-02-2021 10:37 AM

It is generally fairly difficult to assess if a plant will do well or not , sometimes spots are superficial and the plant does fine, other times the spots might get worse and the plant doesn't do well. I don't see anything particularly worrisome about the spots yet but is there only one bulb in the pot?
No Orchid should be sold with only 1 bulb in my opinion.
It should be 3 bulbs minimum otherwise the plant hasn't got enough energy to grow well and will take 3 years to get into a shape that would pass as sellable in my books which is a waste of time.
Of course it is easier to divide a 3 bulb division into 3 single bulbs and sell them as 3 plants instead of 1 which is what it look like was done here. This just weakens every single bulb and they will take a long time to develop because they have no energy reserves. That is my biggest concern. The fact it is just one bulb and the fact the moss looks very old already. This indicates it has been a single bulb for a while already and is not growing.
Nothing unusual considering it has no energy to grow but those are the bad signs I see, the spots I wouldn't be worried about.

katsucats 06-02-2021 08:59 PM

I have an Oncidium anthrocrene with slight blotching. I also thought it looked suspicious, but it tested negative, at least for CMV and ORSV. It's otherwise healthy looking. Oncidiums seem to just have weird quirks like this. The Sharry Baby looks suspect with weird spotting all over, but it's also negative for viruses. That's something I haven't been able to figure out. I have 3 of its 4 species parents and none of them do this.