Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Medinilla magnifica and maybe fungus? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/106693-medinilla-magnifica-maybe-fungus.html)

Cymbaline 04-26-2021 12:35 PM

Medinilla magnifica and maybe fungus?

5 Attachment(s)
Anyone by any chance familiar with these? I have had this medinilla magnifica since last November when I bought it from someone who wasn't having any luck with it.
I bought and put it in an area with my orchids and it started doing really well. It grew quickly with several new leaves. The area had about 55+ % humidity.
In say January I bought a Milsbo ( Ikea Cabinet that I converted into a greenhouse ) and decided to move it into that. It still did really well and more new growth. The Milsbo has around 65+ % humidity.

Then last two weeks or so I saw the older leaves start having these spots, turning yellow and drying up. Okay , maybe it's shedding old leaves? It didn't stop there. New, healthy leaves are developing issues that I don't really know how to describe. I started Googling with different possible descriptions but I'm not finding anything like it.

I'm not sure what it can be but the medium looked broken down and it was root bound so I figured repotting to fresh medium maybe a good first step.

I repotted it into new medium.

I also wondered if this could be some sort of fungus perhaps? I tried using Physan 20 , and some copper fungicide on the leaves.

But I really wish I didn't have to guess as to what maybe the issue.

I uploaded some pictures and the last picture is it's healthy leaves. All of this is happening bottom up.

Ray 04-26-2021 02:35 PM

Looks like mite damage to me, although I've seen some cases of powdery mildew look similar.

Cymbaline 04-26-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 956720)
Looks like mite damage to me, although I've seen some cases of powdery mildew look similar.

It could be powdery mildew for sure. I had a Don Miller begonia in the cabinet a month ( give or take ) ago and it developed powdery mildew so I've been treating it.

I'll check for mites just to make sure but I think that probably is it. Thank You!

estación seca 04-26-2021 11:08 PM

I would also treat for spider mites.

I've never grown it. I don't think these need super high humidity. I have heard of people growing them as house plants.

Cymbaline 04-28-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 956748)
I would also treat for spider mites.

I've never grown it. I don't think these need super high humidity. I have heard of people growing them as house plants.

Thanks. I didn't see signs of spider mites on it but I'll do it JIC.