Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - others (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-others/)
-   -   Cypripedium Chauncey (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-others/106691-cypripedium-chauncey.html)

Longroots 04-26-2021 09:27 AM

Cypripedium Chauncey

2 Attachment(s)
I got this Chauncey Late March (UK) and it's buds seem to be doing ok, albeit a little droopy which worries me a little. Also the leaves are very pale and have a few brown dried parts that makes me think it's recieved too much light? It's been on my patio and has had some midday sun. I've now moved it to a shadier area.

The moss I've added, as before the leaves were slightly limp even watering every other day, so the moss locks a little moisture in to it's pumice-turface-perlite mix. I now continue to water every other day. Any advice, especially from UK growers? Very little, if any forums have discussions of terrestrial orchids such Cypripediums, even less so specifically in the UK. I've attached some images, I can obviously take more.

Thanks

neophyte 04-26-2021 11:10 AM

Wow, nice! I can't grow these in my area so I don't have any first-hand experience, but I would agree with you that the leaves looks like they're receiving a bit too much light. :)

Longroots 04-26-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neophyte (Post 956702)
Wow, nice! I can't grow these in my area so I don't have any first-hand experience, but I would agree with you that the leaves looks like they're receiving a bit too much light. :)

Thanks, it's nice to know that someone agrees so I feel more confident with what I'm doing with it. I bought these thinking they'd be easier to care for than they are, but that just kind of makes them more exciting to grow.

neophyte 04-27-2021 11:27 AM

Also, you've been fertilizing regularly, right? From what I'm reading online these like to be fertilized well during the active growth season. :)

Longroots 04-27-2021 11:56 AM

I've not fertalized that often to be honest. I'll give it some when I get home, although I've heard the opposite, and that like a lot of European terrestrial orchids they grow in drier, less fertile soils

neophyte 04-27-2021 12:40 PM

Maybe use granulated/slow-release fertilizer or liquid fertilizer at less than full strength?

Longroots 04-27-2021 12:46 PM

I'll use a 1/4 strength multi purpose/tomato feed

estación seca 05-03-2021 10:37 PM

By the way... there are two Cypripedium alliance fora here: One for Paphiopedilum, and one for the other genera. This might get more views in the correct forum. I'm going to ask a moderator to move it.

Roberta 05-04-2021 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 957218)
By the way... there are two Cypripedium alliance fora here: One for Paphiopedilum, and one for the other genera. This might get more views in the correct forum. I'm going to ask a moderator to move it.

Will do.