Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Greetings from Brasil (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/106684-greetings-brasil.html)

clopes 04-25-2021 05:46 PM

Greetings from Brasil

Hi Everyone,
I have just been bitten by the orchid bug.
After having known what an orchid was for about 5 ten's of years I suddenly realised their beauty and when I started reading about them I also realised what little warriors they have been for millions of years and how demanding they can be too!
If things are not done the way they want, they will warn you and if you dont take care, they just leave you.

I am a newbie and till now i just have been reading as much as I can and am planning to set up a small orchidarium.
I am glad that I found this Forum and look forward to learn lots with all of you.
Thanks and take care.
Carlos

P.S.
With the excitement of introducing myself, I forgot to mention that it all started on my birthday in February when for the second time also on my birthday a friend gave me my first ever orchid.
She was a Phalaenopsis and I just kept her inside in a bright place, gave her water and she liked so much me that the following year she gave me 7 beautiful flowers.
Well on my following birthday she told me that because I looked after the Phal. so well that she promoted me by giving me a Cattleya with orange and yellow flowers.
That was the triggering time for me to start loving orchids.
Thereafter my house cleaning lady said that she had many seedlings/cuttings of orchids and gifted me with 12 of them!
All of them are doing very well and producing new roots.
After that, the building of an orchidarium became a priority.....

estación seca 04-25-2021 06:25 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

Where in Brasil do you live?

clopes 04-25-2021 09:17 PM

Oi estación seca,
I live in Espírito Santo State, 80km from the capital Vitória in a small town called Santa Teresa.
It's a mountains area with winter temperatures oscillating between 10 and 27 degrees Celcius.
Ideal for the growth of certain species.

estación seca 04-25-2021 09:29 PM

Sounds wonderful! I bet you have beautiful Laelia purpuratas!

clopes 04-25-2021 09:42 PM

Indeed beautiful place, however orchids don't have many yet!
I have not bought any yet. Only some cuttings and 2 given before as presents.
Busy preparing to build an orchidarium.
I dont know much yet but I am sure the tip of Laelia purpuratas must be a good one.
I am going to check because I am just beginning.
Thanks very much

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Just checked the Laelias purpuratas.
All too beautiful!
Difficult to choose.
Seedlings are very cheap.
Next is to read all about cultivating them.

Roberta 04-25-2021 10:30 PM

Welcome, clopes!

In your part of Brasil, there are SO many wonderful orchid species! Do you have some outside space to grow them? Because if you do, no need for an orchidarium - there are so many orchids that are native to your area, that would be very happy growing outside. Your most difficult challenge will be choosing, the number of options is so huge. And that's just the species... there are also lovely hybrids made with the species. You are starting on a wonderful adventure!

charlesf6 04-26-2021 01:34 AM

:welcome:

SADE2020 04-26-2021 03:01 AM

Welcome!!! You going to learn a lot here too

rbarata 04-26-2021 06:40 AM

Bem vindo, Carlos!:)

DeaC 04-26-2021 11:26 AM

:hello :waving :greenthumb: