Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   Grammatophylum speciosum var flava (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/106598-grammatophylum-speciosum-var-flava.html)

DirtyCoconuts 04-16-2021 09:43 AM

Grammatophylum speciosum var flava

i have been looking for a Gram speciosum for years and years and i finally found one with several bulbs and under 1 million dollars ...

i have a friend who is an Orchid boss and she grows this plant HUGE so i am planning to copy her culture as much as possible but has anyone else grown this monster?

my plan is a very large clay dish, more wide than tall but still at least 12" deep and to fill it with lava rock and marble chips and place it under a tree letting any leaf litter fall in as it likes.

please add any thoughts, suggestions or experiences:waving

Jmbaum 04-16-2021 02:08 PM

The largest ones I’ve seen cultivated were massive, outside Bangkok, grown under a sparse tree somewhere between a raised bed/ giant wood wire basket. Without the ability of the plant to anchor through something structural, there’s a real risk of it falling over. Open structured containers seem to be the best way of accomplishing this while allowing a bit of air to the roots underneath keeping the core of the plant healthy.

DirtyCoconuts 04-16-2021 02:33 PM

Terrific! Perhaps I’ll make a stone basket and see how that comes out

Jmbaum 04-16-2021 03:43 PM

Keep the thread updated, would love to see the process, magnificent species.

estación seca 04-16-2021 09:27 PM

I have read of it being grown in a wheelbarrow.

I would think it would do well in the ground for you. Maybe start it in a large raised pot and let it root into the ground. This is actually the perfect use for the truck tire planter in the front yard.

DirtyCoconuts 04-20-2021 06:41 PM

It arrived and I am blown away. Four pbulbs and two new growths trucking already.

I was wondering what the thoughts are about hacking up a few coconuts and filling the space between rocks and broken pots with big chunks of coir? I was thinking some charcoal too

I will get pics of it and her new home ASAP

isurus79 04-20-2021 10:19 PM

I saw a monster growing at Kawamoto Orchids when I used to live on Oahu. Why not just attach yours to a tree?

DirtyCoconuts 04-20-2021 10:37 PM

Two reasons

One is I really don’t have a big enough tree and two is I am always paranoid about having to move and losing my babies so only divisions and NoIDs( not special ones) go into trees

Jmbaum 04-21-2021 12:37 AM

Good choice, they are known for downing trees.

DirtyCoconuts 04-21-2021 03:24 PM

i bought a 22" rice bowl...it wont be her FOREVER home but a few years....