Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Shall I repot it now? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/106595-repot.html)

wenshen 04-15-2021 09:09 PM

Shall I repot it now?

3 Attachment(s)
I received a Phal Tying Shin Fly Eagle today. It came with a flower spike. Shall I repot it as soon as possible or wait till the blooming is over?

One month ago, I bought a Violacea var Indigo, it was in same situation. I repotted in one week after I got it but the flower spike is turning yellow :( I think I am not going to see the flower very soon😭

The first picture is Tying Shin Fly Eagle I got today. Second picture is the Violacea var. Indigo which is losing the spike. The third picture is a Phal KS Super Zebra which I got and repotted at the same time as the Violecea. That one grows two spikes quickly after I repotted it. Hope I will not lose them.

wenshen 04-15-2021 09:20 PM

I just noticed that the stem in the 3rd picture is yellow. What could be wrong? It's in S/H, still could be overwatered?

fishmom 04-15-2021 10:24 PM

It looks like you have changed the planting medium from moss (or bark?) to S/H. That is a bit of a shock for the plant. The next spikes that you get will be from a plant that is adjusted to S/H and will be more likely to mature. Actually, the spike on the Super Zebra still looks pretty green to me, more like the yellow is just from high light. Good luck!

estación seca 04-15-2021 10:40 PM

If you are going to repot from moss into S/H, realize the plant's old moss-adapted roots may not adapt well. This might lead to spike loss. It might be necessary for the plant to grow new roots before it spikes again.

However - I have repotted Phals in spike into S/H, and they didn't lose the spikes. I think your best chance of success is if you water them frequently after moving from moss to S/H. This would depend on the humidity and temperatures in your growing area, but you could water every 1-2 days without harming the plant.

wenshen 04-15-2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmom (Post 955844)
Actually, the spike on the Super Zebra still looks pretty green to me, more like the yellow is just from high light. Good luck!

Yes the spikes are green. I will move Super Zebra away from the window and keep close eye on it. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 955847)
If you are going to repot from moss into S/H, realize the plant's old moss-adapted roots may not adapt well. This might lead to spike loss. It might be necessary for the plant to grow new roots before it spikes again.

However - I have repotted Phals in spike into S/H, and they didn't lose the spikes. I think your best chance of success is if you water them frequently after moving from moss to S/H. This would depend on the humidity and temperatures in your growing area, but you could water every 1-2 days without harming the plant.

What if I replace with half new moss and half LECA? will it be less stressful? The place I live is very dry.