Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Growth on C. walkeriana v Alba pendentive (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/106468-growth-walkeriana-alba-pendentive.html)

HeyMrDeej 04-03-2021 01:25 PM

Growth on C. walkeriana v Alba pendentive

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

I’ve had walkeriana before and know they’re the weird growers in the catt alliance, but this is pretty new to me. My new growth, which is still growing, has started a new growth. Is this normal for walkerianas to be jumping the gun on new growth?

For background, it’s a seedling I had since December, and yes it is growing in a recycled pudding cup. I’m not a fan of the opaque 2in pots because I like watching roots grow. New tips are starting on older roots. It gets water twice a week, k-lite fertilizer once a week, and the quantum and kelpmax fertilizer once a month. It’s in a west facing bay window, but protected from the intense light. Day temps have been around 65-75 with night temps of 45-55.

I’m really surprised by this.

SouthPark 04-03-2021 04:11 PM

I haven't grown walkeriana before. When looking at this pic ...... I notice an even smaller new growth on the right-hand-side of the 'new growth. So could even be two new growths on top of your big new growth. Looks just fine there.

thefish1337 04-03-2021 05:05 PM

the quantum and kelpmax give your plant a healthy supply of growth hormones. using both you will notice occasionally that your plant will put out *unique* bursts of growth

smweaver 04-03-2021 05:34 PM

I don't know whether it's normal or not. Perhaps it's just normal for your particular plant. But as long as it wants to put out more growths, you should encourage this behavior. Good luck.

isurus79 04-04-2021 10:37 AM

Yes, I've seen them do this before. Sometimes they abort the new growth producing the new growth.

yug 04-05-2021 11:48 PM

Doesn't C. walkeriana have a habit of sometimes growing a p-bulb with a leaf on top, and at other times the growth is merely a bloom? This could be one of each.

SouthPark 04-06-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yug (Post 954865)
Doesn't C. walkeriana have a habit of sometimes growing a p-bulb with a leaf on top, and at other times the growth is merely a bloom? This could be one of each.

I think what you mentioned is true for walkeriana ----- about sometimes a growth can be a flower spike. I think it generally happens when the orchid is much larger. Although - unexpected things can happen with plants.

isurus79 04-06-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

It's very rare for walkeriana to bloom at the top of the bulb, but it does happen. For some reason it happens most commonly with coerulea varieties.

The blooming habit isn't diagnostic of a walkeriana's "purity" either, since many hybrids will pick up the trait as well. Specifically, I'm thinking of x dolosa or even Aloha Case.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Quote:

Also, this plant is waaaaay too small to bloom!