Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Tolumnia Hybrid (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/106451-tolumnia-hybrid.html)

voyager 04-01-2021 06:42 PM

Tolumnia Hybrid

2 Attachment(s)
Used to go weekly to our largest local farmer's market.
Then, they began to charge for parking above what they charged for the stalls.

The number of local attendees dropped dramatically while the number of tourists grew a bit.
As a result, produce and similar type stall numbers began to decline while the crafts and other miscellaneous stalls increased
They countered by doubling the parking charge.
I ain't been back.
Driving by, I see that the total number of stalls has now dramatically decreased.
I wonder why.

I would go for fruit and produce and looked through all the orchid stalls buying from both.
Haven't been by that market for a few years now.
I buy my fruit and veggies elsewhere, and don't see nearly as many orchids being sold anymore.

Shortly before flipping them off, I had bought several [4 I believe] Tolumnias.
I'm not an avid Oncidium aficionado, but was fascinated by the Tolumnias, their flower size and coloring caught my attention.
So, I snagged a few: brownish based multi colored, and this yellow based one.
I mounted all on trees in the yard.
They all did rather poorly, ... unspectacularly.
They each did put out flower spikes several times a year with a thin scattering of flowers on them.

Now this one, the only one left, has bloomed rather nicely, for one thrown up into the air and told to fly.

I blame the eruption on their general poor performance and the death of all the others.
Now, I wish I still had some of the brown based flower.

3rdMaestro 04-01-2021 07:58 PM

Awesome blooms! Thats an interesting hybrid, tolumnia don't normally have psuedobulbs but I can definately see some stronge characteristics of tolumnia triquetra in there. Seems to be happy, thanks for sharing!

Ray 04-02-2021 07:18 AM

It doesn’t look like a tolumnia to me.

PaphMadMan 04-02-2021 01:21 PM

The plant with pseudobulbs really does not look like Tolumnia at all, but the flowers themselves and the way they are tightly bunched shows a strong resemblance to Tolumnia triquetra, as 3rdMaestro noted. They make a nice display with the bright yellow. Perhaps a cross of Tolumnia with a classic yellow Oncidium/Gomesa type. How big is the plant?

voyager 04-04-2021 02:47 AM

It has been a while since I got these, but you seem to have jogged my memory.
I think I remember at least some of the others to have been just swirls of leaves, no PBs.

Might be the reason this one survived while the others didn't.

I picked them from a table full of similar looking, Oncidium types.
All of them looked to have similar sized, shaped and patterned flowers except for their major coloring and the details of their patterns.
Knowing nothing about them, I never questioned whether they were Tolumnias or not.
I took their word for it.
Haven't done more than look up at them as I passed by for a few years now.

reaching up with an old broken, rusted tape measure, the flower tassel group is 5 to 6 in. long.

ArronOB 04-05-2021 06:19 AM

It looks like the Oncidesa Hwuluduen chameleon. A commonly available hybrid. It looks very Gomesa, although not a species.