Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/)
-   -   Clowesia Rebecca Northen 'Grapefruit Pink' (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/106270-clowesia-rebecca-northen-grapefruit-pink.html)

Roberta 03-12-2021 07:06 PM

Clowesia Rebecca Northen 'Grapefruit Pink'

2 Attachment(s)
This one was discussed in a thread awhile ago... I think this one was a parent. I held off posting until all the spikes were at least partially open... it has been nearly 2 months since the first flower opened (on January 17) and that spike is still going strong, now three additional ones just getting going. Wonderful citrus fragrance. And note, pseudobulbs are completely dormant, the plant hasn't had a drop of water since late November or early December. I see just the beginnings of a teensy new shoot (not visible in the photo), so it will be awhile, probably 6-8 weeks, before it is ready for water.

Bayard 03-12-2021 07:55 PM

I remember the fragrance of this one. Good growing!

smweaver 03-13-2021 08:13 AM

Beautiful blooms. But the picture of the pseudobulbs is, to me, more impressive. It's nice to see one of these grown as a big clump.

Roberta 03-13-2021 11:14 AM

Thanks to all! I do love the way that these exotic, fragrant flowers emerge from a clump of rather ratty looking, bare pseudobulbs. And stay there for many weeks with no water and no nourishment. And I guess that's what they want, since they'll be back doing the same thing next year, one of my most reliable plants of the group.

isurus79 03-14-2021 10:18 PM

Beautiful!

camille1585 03-15-2021 03:31 AM

Very nice, those flowers are beautiful!! I think it came up in the thread about my Catasetum, which has this one as a parent. Those spikes seem rather long lived? I had read that most Cat blooms last only a couple of weeks (my first ever blooming confirmed that), but are some longer lasting, or do you just keep it rather cool?

isurus79 03-15-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 952856)
Very nice, those flowers are beautiful!! I think it came up in the thread about my Catasetum, which has this one as a parent. Those spikes seem rather long lived? I had read that most Cat blooms last only a couple of weeks (my first ever blooming confirmed that), but are some longer lasting, or do you just keep it rather cool?

Clowesia blooms last much longer than Catasetums

DirtyCoconuts 03-15-2021 10:07 AM

mmmm, i want a half grapefruit with a dusting of sugar now!!!!

Mr.Fakename 03-15-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 952871)
mmmm, i want a half grapefruit with a dusting of sugar now!!!!

Have you tried it with a dark chocolate sauce?

estación seca 03-15-2021 01:00 PM

I grow my own grapefruit. They're so sweet they don't need any sugar. One of the benefits of a very hot summer and cool winter.