Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Woo-Hoo! COVID (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/105980-woo-hoo-covid.html)

Ray 02-13-2021 10:53 AM

Woo-Hoo! COVID

Vaccination #2 is in the books! (OK...arm.)

No reaction outside of a sore arm, but it’s only been 90 minutes.

Clawhammer 02-13-2021 10:55 AM

Congrats! I'll be first in line when my group is up!

Dusty Ol' Man 02-13-2021 11:22 AM

I'm sorry, but I don't trust them. I don't trust the vaccine due to the lack of testing and time to see what kind of side effects come from it.(The FDA used to wait years before releasing new vaccines so they could do proper studies).
I don't trust the makers. Pfizer is in league with Bill Gates. Gates financed 5 vaccine manufacturing facilities. The Gates Foundation is the originator of the ID2020 plan. (Look it up)
Moderna has all sorts of trust issues. Look up Hydrogel.
I don't trust the Government push or the main stream media who have produced a level of fear in this country not seen since the 1930s in Europe. They have proven themselves unworthy of the name 'journalist'. Beware who you listen to and from where you get your information!!
I will join a large and growing segment of the population who will never let this vaccine enter my body.

Just so you know, I had the virus back in September. Mild fever, lack of energy, loss of taste/smell. Two weeks later I was back at work. I'm 66.

Roberta 02-13-2021 11:44 AM

Got my 2nd one yesterday... no ill effect other than the mildly sore arm that comes from most shots. I do look forward to being able to go to go to the grocery store without feeling like I'm taking my life in my hands. Not a get-out-of-jail-free card, keeping my mask thank you very much, but odds of not getting really sick have improved, even with the variants. Some people don't get sick at all from this bug, some get mildly ill, and some die a horrid death... and it's unpredictable which will be which. (This isn't the first nasty bug with this pattern... polio also had a very high rate of asymptomatic infections... but devastating to those unlucky enough to get sick, also unpredictable. I am very grateful for the vaccine. I was a little kid when this was still a very scary disease)

Dusty Ol' Man 02-13-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 949919)
Got my 2nd one yesterday... no ill effect other than the mildly sore arm that comes from most shots. I do look forward to being able to go to go to the grocery store without feeling like I'm taking my life in my hands. Not a get-out-of-jail-free card, keeping my mask thank you very much, but odds of not getting really sick have improved, even with the variants. Some people don't get sick at all from this bug, some get mildly ill, and some die a horrid death... and it's unpredictable which will be which. (This isn't the first nasty bug with this pattern... polio also had a very high rate of asymptomatic infections... but devastating to those unlucky enough to get sick, also unpredictable. I am very grateful for the vaccine. I was a little kid when this was still a very scary disease)

I was little when we were given the polio vaccine. But the vaccine making process was far different then than it is today. Now there are questionable processes and ingredients added in the manufacture of vaccines. People react differently to Influenza. The range of symptoms varies with just about any virus. I haven't had a flu shot in years. I don't get sick often and the flu is rare. Wash your hands before eating. That is the biggest defense for these diseases. Speaking of the flu, have you noticed that no one is reporting flu numbers anymore? And the covid numbers are vastly bloated. They even include murders and auto accidents in the numbers, as long as the victims tested positive during the autopsy. One report I read, posted by WHO and subsequently taken down by the powers that be, concluded the actual numbers to be 6% of what has been reported. It doesn't help when hospitals are being paid for each new case reported.

Roberta 02-13-2021 12:09 PM

It's pretty obvious why flu numbers are down... it's spread in exactly the same way as COVID - through the air, respiratory droplets. (Not so much from surfaces) If people mask up and don't breathe their germs on on each other both diseases get prevented (along with the common cold even) When this is over, maybe we will have learned something... countries in Asia where mask-wearing has been part of the culture for years, the infection rates and death rates were a teensy fraction of ours. However, I'm not hopeful. Where I live, there are plenty of maskholes and covidiots who don't give a !@#$% for anybody else.

WaterWitchin 02-13-2021 12:49 PM

Gonna have to go with D'olMan on this one overall, as far as not getting the vaccine. Lack of long-term testing for the vaccine, plus political and media hype of incredible dimensions not seen in my lifetime. The internet has certainly changed the face of both in the last fifteen to twenty years.

I took a flu shot once...swine flu vaccine in the mid 70s. I was in my early twenties. Then I read and researched flu vaccinations, and decided they weren't for me. Too much like taking target practice at hornets with a BB gun.

I've done a lot of research of vaccines since those days for personal reasons...husband was Special Forces. He was one of the military's elite guinea pigs for testing vaccinations, amongst other duties. Here's an interesting tidbit I learned while researching, paraphrased from several articles I have on file:
Polio viruses first reached epidemic proportions in the early 1900s, around the same time diseases like typhoid and diphtheria were declining. Many scientists believe the same advances in hygiene that led to the decline of those diseases paradoxically led to the increase of polio. Whereas infants had in years past been exposed to the polio virus at a very young age, most due to a contaminated water supply, but aided by maternal antibodies still circulating in their blood, infants developed a lasting immunity to the virus. Sanitary conditions meant the diseases like typhoid and cholera lowered the mortality rate, but meant that exposure to polio was delayed until later in life, and were more vulnerable to the most severe form of the disease.
Antibiotics have also given us some miraculous ways to treat in the bacterial world. And also SuperBugs, MRSA, etc. Something to think about. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

Ray 02-13-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Ol' Man (Post 949912)
I'm sorry, but I don't trust them. I don't trust the vaccine due to the lack of testing and time to see what kind of side effects come from it.(The FDA used to wait years before releasing new vaccines so they could do proper studies).
I don't trust the makers. Pfizer is in league with Bill Gates. Gates financed 5 vaccine manufacturing facilities. The Gates Foundation is the originator of the ID2020 plan. (Look it up)
Moderna has all sorts of trust issues. Look up Hydrogel.
I don't trust the Government push or the main stream media who have produced a level of fear in this country not seen since the 1930s in Europe. They have proven themselves unworthy of the name 'journalist'. Beware who you listen to and from where you get your information!!
I will join a large and growing segment of the population who will never let this vaccine enter my body.

Just so you know, I had the virus back in September. Mild fever, lack of energy, loss of taste/smell. Two weeks later I was back at work. I'm 66.

The technology of encapsulating a bit of RNA in lipids to make a vaccine is not new, and has been proven to be safe and effective for the flu and HIV, and probably others of which I'm not aware. It's solid and trustworthy science.

I'm glad your health effects were relatively mild. This virus has an extremely wide range of direct and side effects that run the gamut of impact.

My sister-in-law and her husband and two, college-aged kids went skiing last February and were unknowingly exposed.
  • My brother-in-law (55 years old, a runner who takes very good care of himself) was sicker than hell for 3 weeks, then was recovering for another two months or so.
  • My sister-in-law lost the senses of taste and smell. That's it.
  • My niece had no symptoms whatsoever, but has tested positive for antibodies. All three of them donate regularly to help severely-infected folks.
  • My nephew is the one who has done everything wrong - hangs out with his friends, went on Spring break to Florida, etc., etc. Him? Apparently nothing. No symptoms, no antibodies. Nothing.
Seemingly healthy, young people die from heart attacks. Some get lung damage that requires transplants. Neither Bill Gates, the pharmie companies, nor the media played any role in the deaths of almost a half-million people in this country.

I lived in England when the thalidomide tragedy hit the fan - drugs given to mothers-to-be to calm morning sickness led to the birth of thousands of babies with severe birth defects. Control is much better now.

DirtyCoconuts 02-13-2021 01:34 PM

I want to get it as soon as I am able.

You won’t find a greater opponent of big pharmaceutical that I, however the overwhelming majority of these vaccines will be free and the manufacturer will bear a significant amount of that

This is a strange world where we all live and I agree about being wary and source checking and always see who is getting paid. I am afraid none of those villains caused these deaths and this virus will either need to be countered with a vaccine or 50-60 % more people need to get it.

Clawhammer 02-13-2021 01:51 PM

To have questions about the rushed pace of the vaccine is understandable but very sad to see people here fall victim to conspiracy theories and see them perpetuated on this forum. Sad to see the mass preservation of life politicized.

"First time we've seen this push in our lifetime". First global pandemic in your lifetime. 10 of my colleagues have died of covid, I have lost exactly zero to the flu in my 20 year career.