Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Vanda leaf getting brown (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/105174-vanda-leaf-getting-brown.html)

luigi.malago 11-06-2020 11:41 AM

Vanda leaf getting brown

8 Attachment(s)
Dear all,
I am new to the forum and after searching on the web for a couple of days related to my issue, I have decided to subscribe to this forum since it seems many competent people are writing here. Hope you can help me.

I have a vanda since 2 weeks, it came in a glass, I removed the plant from the glass and I hanged it the day after on my window. I live in Romania, now outside we have 55 degrees F. Humidity in my apartment is around 65/75 (quite high I would say). Ventilation is not optimal in these days when I am at the office the windows of my apartment are closed. The vanda is hanged on a window facing south est. I water the roots every day about 1 minute in the shower, twice a week I let it soak for 15 minutes, trying to wet only the roots and blowing away possible drops of water form the lower leaves afterthe bath.

The plant had two stems, one had and still has flowers, the other was green and about to flower, but it dried few days ago, I guess due to the stress about the change of environment for the plant.

Since one week I have started to notice that one central leaf is getting brown. When I bought it was not like this. I think it is a fungus, and since I saw pictures and videos of vanda getting rotten in few weeks starting with a small spot like mine I am very worried.

First of all, is this a fungus? How can I detect the exact type and chose the corresponding product? At the moment I have with me "Previcur Enery" and I am about to buy "Aliette 80 WG". How do you suggest to act?

What about the black spots on the upper leaves? Can I clean the away?

Finally, there is some dirty at the basis of each leaf, and it is not easy to remove it. Any suggestion?

thanks a lot for your help,
Luigi

Keysguy 11-06-2020 12:29 PM

Vanda's tend to drop leaves. It's what they do, even when they are grown in optimal conditions. Yours looks fine to me but you've got your work cut out for you in your growing conditions. Sounds like you've got a reasonable regimen established for water and if anything I'd suggest you provide supplemental artificial light, especially during the dark of winter.

luigi.malago 11-06-2020 12:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. So the spots are not the consequences of a fungus? I am glad to hear this...

I am working on the light, however it is difficult to choose among alternatives.

best,
Luigi

estación seca 11-06-2020 06:23 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

I think the leaf spot is sunburn. Is it on the side facing the sun? It was probably not in sun at the store. They like sun but it can take time to adapt. A fan to move air on the plant when it is in sun can help.

What is the temperature inside your apartment?

The roots look good. Vandas need a lot of water. The leaves have small linear wrinkles. That means it isn't getting enough water. You could water it twice a day. You could put it into the vase and fill the vase with water to soak the roots for several hours every 1-3 days.

An Orchid Board member, jcec1, lives in England, and grows Vandas in vases. Use the Advanced Search feature in the top menu to look up those posts.

luigi.malago 11-06-2020 07:35 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply.
so the temperature in the apartment now is 66-71 degrees F. It should not be a sun burn, since the side facing the sun is always the other.

Can you help to identify where you see the linear wrinkles? In which picture?

best,
Luigi

estación seca 11-06-2020 08:45 PM

The two closeup photos.

luigi.malago 11-07-2020 01:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some updates. The "dark spot" is getting larger, as you can see from the image. I talked with the guy who sold me the vanda in the shop and they suggested me to remove the leaf, and check what is underneath. I am not sure about this suggestion, since the guy didn't appear to me to be an expert. I asked if he believes it is a fungus, he said just to use some cinnamon in case.

Now I am not sure about what to do.. Should I cut the leavf now or wait to see what happens? If the leaf is lost (since the spot is getting larger), then I can also cut now in my opinion.

However I would appreciate your opinion before I take any action.

thanks,
Luigi

Orchidtinkerer 11-07-2020 05:23 PM

I am no expert on vanda's, have lost a leaf here or there in the past. It's never killed any plant.
What kills a plant is when an infection gets into the stem, they are adapted to losing a leaf and it shouldn't affect the orchid too much.
That's my opinion. I wouldn't even bother with cinnamon, just make sure it stays dry at all times, the worst thing you can do is get it wet which could encourage the spot to spread.
It is in such an awkward position I don't think you can cleanly cut all the brown away so I would just leave it.

Keysguy 11-07-2020 07:29 PM

Luigi--- I have about 50 vanda's and vandaceous relatives I grow outdoors year round. If that were my plant, I would not touch it. If it falls off, it falls off. I seriously doubt it's a virus and you won't know without testing.
Regarding plant getting wet. IT MUST! That is what they live for......BUT......make sure you have good air flow around the plant so it dries fairly quickly in between waterings. OR, as someone else mentioned, you could try growing it SH but I know nothing of that method. Other than fertilizer, mine are pretty much grown by mother nature.

estación seca 11-07-2020 07:29 PM

I would leave it alone.