Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   A family portrait? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/105109-family-portrait.html)

Jeff214 10-29-2020 05:37 PM

A family portrait?

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a quiz: my parents are Den. goldschmidtianum and Den. bullenianum. Who am I?

The child is refusing to bloom this year, so I added a photo from a previous year. It would have been nice to see all three bloom at once!

Roberta 10-29-2020 06:36 PM

Den. goldschmidtianum x Den. bullenianum = Den. Justin Lau, registered in 2005.

Jeff214 10-29-2020 06:42 PM

Bingo - that's one of the names!

Roberta 10-29-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff214 (Post 940888)
Bingo - that's one of the names!

There's another? I don't think that a given grex can be registered with more than one name (and the reverse cross would have the same name). Cultivar names aren't saved anyplace unless they're attached to an award, and I don't see any awards listed.

Jeff214 10-29-2020 07:49 PM

well the natural hybrid is Den x usitae. Mine was labeled that way, although who knows if it was actually from a jungle collected plant!

DirtyCoconuts 10-29-2020 09:16 PM

How and where do you grow these?

Jeff214 10-29-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 940891)
How and where do you grow these?

These seem adaptable and easy to grow for me.

I've grown them by a sunny windowsill and hanging outside under a covered porch. They grew well in humid Hotlanta and hot dry San Diego between 45 and 110 oF. They seem to enjoy being moist, if not wet. I grow them with a saucer full of water during the warmer months and I let it get close to dryness during cooler months. They do fine somewhere between phal and catt light levels, but definitely can burn at catt levels if not acclimated. Definitely less than other dens which can take almost direct light... I fertilize year round and it seems to grow nonstop all year.

Each p-bulb seems to take about 2 years to mature, a year to lose its leaves, then flower. It seems to flower intermittently throughout the year, but concentrated during colder months.

I hope that helps!

SouthPark 10-30-2020 12:25 PM

That is so nice. The colours and shape are really nice. The striation pattern on the tepals are a great feature too.

Jeff214 10-30-2020 01:13 PM

These things are hard to photograph but I love the vibrant pompoms that sprout from seemingly dead canes. I tried staking up my Den x usiate but I prefer it to just ramble in all directions. It's really untidy but oh well!

DirtyCoconuts 10-30-2020 04:00 PM

Sweet and thank you- I have two of these and i just get growth but no flowers....i have a D bractiosum that is always in flower right next to them....

i may have not had them for more than 2 years, trying to remember, but maybe it is just a bit more waiting.