Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   monster Monstera flower (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/104733-monster-monstera-flower.html)

DirtyCoconuts 09-16-2020 04:28 PM

monster Monstera flower

My sister has this Jurassic park plant in her back yard and i noticed it was in bloom....the beer can is so you can appreciate the magnitude of the plant and the flower

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4e1bf777_c.jpgVandas throwing spikes by J Solo, on Flickr

MJG 09-16-2020 04:41 PM

Holy crap! Things grow bigger in Florida.

Mr.Fakename 09-16-2020 05:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The local orchid nursery has one of those, which is, incidentally, also referred to as "Monster Monstera".

They said a customer forgot it 15 years ago, and it's living here until he comes pick it up.

estación seca 09-16-2020 07:54 PM

I've discovered it grows extremely happily here in Phoenix outdoors, and tolerates temperatures all the way down to just above freezing. It hasn't minded daytime temperatures up to 116 F / 47C and humidity in the single digits so long as it's well watered and in the shade. I suspect it would be just fine with much higher temperatures. So those of you who thought you need a greenhouse to grow it... you don't.

Oh, and be sure to eat the fruits. The individual berries ripen one by one.

WaterWitchin 09-17-2020 09:07 AM

Tell your sister she needs to start growing adansonii. Or YOU start growing it! I could have a big plant in about six months!

DirtyCoconuts 09-17-2020 10:22 AM

ES- i juuust learned why it is called deliciousa!!! such a treat!

Tindomul 09-23-2020 09:02 PM

Niiiice!!!!!

kvet 09-27-2020 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a little jelly here :) Awesome, I hope you share what it tastes like, if you get a chance to!

I wanted one of these early in the year, mostly because it has a tasty fruit and it can grow in low light. They didn't seem to be in season, only super expensive everywhere since they were only sold in large containers. Thought it might be fun to try growing it in SH, too. One day I happened to be in a nursery that had much younger plants, but they were unlabelled and mixed up - upon questioning, a worker pulled out a specimen and told me it was the swiss cheese plant I was looking for.. when asked why it had no holes, he said, "it's still young, it'll happen as it matures". Can anyone tell whether this a monstera deliciosa? Or did I end up with a philadendron of sorts? I've been too lazy to find a suitable, larger SH container.

A few months later, home despot had some nice ones on sale for less than the small one I purchased, but I didn't get it. Hmmm.

DirtyCoconuts 09-27-2020 07:25 PM

The plant you have appears to not be a monstera. The Swiss cheese plant is typically monstera adansonii as the holes are closed and the edge of the leaves are continuous. On Monstera deliciousa, the holes extend to the edges and the leaf looks a lot more like a Pom Pom than a fan. I’ll get pics on my little one later so you can see the difference

estación seca 09-28-2020 12:13 AM

Monstera deliciosa always has large petioles in proportion to the leaf, and they are channeled toward the center of the plant. They do have entire, non-perforated leaves when smaller. Your plant is some other wonderful aroid. Please show us what it grows into.

Earlier this year Steve's Leaves had seedlings in stock but they're gone now. Maybe you could put your name on the wait list.

If you know somebody with an older plant, they are very easy from cuttings. Even small pieces of stem grow. Plants in pots branch much earlier than plants in the ground.

I will probably divide mine in the next year. I started with a 4" / 10cm piece of thin stem from a friend's old plant. I water and fertilize more, so it took off. The rhizome grows horizontally above the potting media in an 18" / 45cm pot, standing on root stilts. I'm going to cut the old, leafless rhizome between nodes but leave the roots in place. I expect each piece will sprout a new growth.