Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Phalaenopsis (yellowing leaves falling, black spots) (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/104653-phalaenopsis-yellowing-leaves-falling-black-spots.html)

Pabsorchid14 09-08-2020 02:57 PM

Phalaenopsis (yellowing leaves falling, black spots)

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, i have had this orchid for a few months now, water once to twice a week, growing inside gets plenty of air no direct sun. A few days ago leaves started falling not as in dried and fell but they were still plump they tore from the crown. Is this salvageable. I noticed some aphids just now too so was planning to do a neem oil mixture but if rot is present might need to do something else. Here are the pictures. Thanks in advance :) . The third picture is the first one i took days ago. The first one is today.

Roberta 09-08-2020 08:20 PM

That first photo looks like a case of crown rot developing rapidly. You can try a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the crown (3%)... keep it off the roots. If you lose the crown, you may get a new basal growth, since the roots look good. Aphids probably didn't cause it, but they're not good... may be indicators of other problems, so getting rid of them is a good idea, you don't want them in the house or on your other plants.

SouthPark 09-08-2020 11:49 PM

Does the crown get water in it sometimes? (ie. the crown region, the inner region where the new leaves pop-out from).

Pabsorchid14 09-09-2020 02:59 AM

Inthink i will try the hydrogen peroxide, the top of the criwn seems to be healthy still, it seems as if the crown root came from down below like collar rot i red somwhere, i never water overhead, and when water does splash inside the crown ill blow it dry ( blowing through mouth, and the few drops left Absolutely evaporate before noon).

SouthPark 09-09-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pabsorchid14 (Post 935720)
Inthink i will try the hydrogen peroxide, the top of the criwn seems to be healthy still, it seems as if the crown root came from down below like collar rot i red somwhere, i never water overhead, and when water does splash inside the crown ill blow it dry ( blowing through mouth, and the few drops left Absolutely evaporate before noon).

I see!!! Assuming bacterial and/or fungal activity happening here ----- that prompt treatment is good.

Maybe some systematic treatment is beneficial. Eg. monterey garden phos. There are other systematic treatments like thiomyl, and even copper solutions (for plants/orchids).

estación seca 09-09-2020 09:49 AM

What are your temperatures day/night? Humidity? How much light is it getting?

SouthPark 09-09-2020 12:19 PM

pabs ----- some information here from AOS : aphids

Do you have imidacloprid available over there?