Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Parts & Equipment (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/parts-and-equipment/)
-   -   Inventory app for orchids (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/parts-and-equipment/104549-inventory-app-orchids.html)

Diane56Victor 08-27-2020 09:37 PM

Inventory app for orchids

I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my orchids.
The spreadsheet has the usual headings, species, the given number in my collection, plant name, where purchased, when, how much, flowering times, photo etc etc.

This works great on the laptop.

I would like to get an app for the phone so I have my collection at hand if Im out and about, hopefully at some orchid shows if we ever get them again.

I do know of 2 apps, one has been made specifically for orchids by a Youtuber and another Youtuber has been able to customise a home inventory app with excellent results.

Problem for me is both apps are for iphones and I use android. Don't want to purchase iphone just for an orchid collection app.

I have downloaded a few home inventory apps to test them out. Other types, the stock and inventory type are just too complex as they are business models.
Im not bothered if there is no facility to export to and from spreadsheets, nice to have but not essential.

So if anyone uses, or knows of an android app that might work I would love to hear about it.

Keysguy 08-27-2020 10:28 PM

I don't have an app. I'm not that tech savvy but I do keep an Excel spread sheet much like what you describe. Actually, I have 2. One of the plants I have and one of the plants I want which I developed off of IOSPE to correlate to my growing conditions and the fact I want them to bloom between Nov and May.
I periodically (as needed by updates) email each to myself which I then save in a special folder I can open on my phone when at a show shopping.
Works great for me.

Diane56Victor 08-28-2020 02:05 AM

Great idea. With a plan like that you seem like you are tech savvy.

Yep that is part of my plan too, a list of wanted plants within this mythical app!

Currently I screenshot the photos and put them in a wanted album in the gallery section of the phone.

Clawhammer 08-28-2020 10:23 AM

Transfer your excel spreadsheet to Google Sheets and you will be able to access / update it from your phone or tablet.

estación seca 08-28-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane56Victor (Post 934505)
...Yep that is part of my plan too, a list of wanted plants within this mythical app!...

Excel may not work for you. It can only have 1,048,576 rows. Google Sheets only permits 400,000 cells.

Diane56Victor 08-28-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 934521)
Excel may not work for you. It can only have 1,048,576 rows. Google Sheets only permits 400,000 cells.

I wouldn't need that much Excel or Google sheet space.

Nice thought though, raise my collection 2 to the 20th power.

Now....where could I put 10000 orchids? 🤔

Keysguy 08-28-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Now....where could I put 10000 orchids? 🤔
Piece of cake. It's the second thousand where it starts to get tricky! :lol:

DirtyCoconuts 08-28-2020 09:07 PM

It’s so funny bc 100 orchids sounds like a lot and so does 500 but when you are standing in a greenhouse and there’s extra space.... it’s wasted money for a grower

I love applying that same thinking to my property. Empty space is wasted space to a plant addict.

hypostatic 08-28-2020 11:06 PM

...if you like spreadsheets, you can get excel for your smartphone also

Diane56Victor 08-29-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keysguy (Post 934596)
Piece of cake. It's the second thousand where it starts to get tricky! :lol:

Im working on the first thousand, its the next 9 thousand I would have trouble with, my verandah is only 15m x 4m (49ft x 13ft)

I have one shelf with some space but Im trying to save that for those on my wanted list.