Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Rhyncholaelia glauca x Brassavola cucullata: Does this not exist yet? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/104252-rhyncholaelia-glauca-brassavola-cucullata-exist.html)

BrassavolaStars 07-27-2020 03:00 AM

Rhyncholaelia glauca x Brassavola cucullata: Does this not exist yet?

Hello all,

I was recently looking through orchidroots for primary hybrids of Rl. glauca. It is a favorite species of mine and I don’t not have any hybrids of it except for Bul. Redland Sunset and Rl. Aristocrat.

While scrolling, I noticed that Brassavola cucullata was conspicuously missing from the list of primary glauca crosses which I find odd as it seems perfect for a primary hybrid with the glauca.

Is there really no such hybrid yet? Would this likely be a good pair to hybridize? I have both of these plants. Should I try to make a hybrid?

Fairorchids 07-27-2020 07:25 AM

Allen Black (hobbyist hybridizer) has made a number of hybrids with Brassavola cucullata. You can find his web site here:
Allen Black's Brassavola & Other Orchids

isurus79 07-27-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrassavolaStars (Post 930896)
Hello all,

I was recently looking through orchidroots for primary hybrids of Rl. glauca. It is a favorite species of mine and I don’t not have any hybrids of it except for Bul. Redland Sunset and Rl. Aristocrat.

While scrolling, I noticed that Brassavola cucullata was conspicuously missing from the list of primary glauca crosses which I find odd as it seems perfect for a primary hybrid with the glauca.

Is there really no such hybrid yet? Would this likely be a good pair to hybridize? I have both of these plants. Should I try to make a hybrid?

No one has registered this cross: The International Orchid Register / RHS Gardening

BrassavolaStars 07-28-2020 12:01 AM

I wonder why this cross doesn’t exist/hasn’t been registered yet. Those two species seem like chocolate and peanut butter to me. Maybe it’s an opportunity for someone. How do you make a cross? Do you save pollen from one plant for when the other one is flowering?

isurus79 07-28-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrassavolaStars (Post 930952)
I wonder why this cross doesn’t exist/hasn’t been registered yet. Those two species seem like chocolate and peanut butter to me. Maybe it’s an opportunity for someone. How do you make a cross? Do you save pollen from one plant for when the other one is flowering?

Yes, this is often done. In fact, I think I've got glauca pollen in my fridge right now.

DirtyCoconuts 07-28-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 930991)
Yes, this is often done. In fact, I think I've got glauca pollen in my fridge right now.

you must have a very understanding wife :rofl:

isurus79 07-28-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 930997)
you must have a very understanding wife :rofl:

Or a stash small enough not to be seen! :rofl::rofl: