Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   I think I have a new favorite tomato (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/104212-favorite-tomato.html)

JScott 07-22-2020 11:36 AM

I think I have a new favorite tomato

I've always thought Cherokee Purple was the best it got as far as tomatoes goes. For years, I have claimed that as my favorite. However this year, just on a whim, I planted a couple Brandywine tomatoes. They have been slow to produce, and they are not very productive, but I finally had one that ripened. It was a weird, splotchy pink color and I thought, "Is that supposed to look like that?" but I cut into it and it was a deep red all the way through. The flavor was amazing. I ate the entire thing with just a little salt. I should have taken a picture of it, but it was in my belly before I thought of it.

So anyway, the point is, if you've never grown Brandywine, you might give it a shot. I think it might be my favorite now. Move over, Cherokee Purple. Next year, my tomato garden may consist entirely of Cherokee Purple (I still love them) and Brandywine.

DirtyCoconuts 07-22-2020 11:46 AM

nice- i love a tomato and salt

also, kudos for branching out … i am in the weird age where i sometime feel like i "know what i like" and that's really dumb...experimenting is the key

WaterWitchin 07-22-2020 03:19 PM

I like Brandywine... but NOTHING, I mean NOTHING, beats Purple Cherokee. And Brandywine... that weird outside color. :biggrin:

kvet 07-22-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JScott (Post 930344)
I've always thought Cherokee Purple was the best it got as far as tomatoes goes. For years, I have claimed that as my favorite. However this year, just on a whim, I planted a couple Brandywine tomatoes. They have been slow to produce, and they are not very productive, but I finally had one that ripened. It was a weird, splotchy pink color and I thought, "Is that supposed to look like that?" but I cut into it and it was a deep red all the way through. The flavor was amazing. I ate the entire thing with just a little salt. I should have taken a picture of it, but it was in my belly before I thought of it.

So anyway, the point is, if you've never grown Brandywine, you might give it a shot. I think it might be my favorite now. Move over, Cherokee Purple. Next year, my tomato garden may consist entirely of Cherokee Purple (I still love them) and Brandywine.

Yes! The spell is complete! :biggrin:

The tomato flavors seem to change over the years, probably dependent on so many different conditions. Your posts make me want to try the CP next year, and I found other varieties too, such as a Maglia Rose, the pineapple type, black from tula, and a japanese plum thingy. I'd like a paste tomato in there, too. But given my limited space, that'll mean basically one or two plants of each variety :(

I successfully rooted a brandywine sucker from my mom's garden last month, it'll go into final pot soon (or maybe ground), but not sure whether it'll produce before it gets too hot here. Fingers crossed!

JScott 07-22-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvet (Post 930386)
Yes! The spell is complete! :biggrin:

The tomato flavors seem to change over the years, probably dependent on so many different conditions. Your posts make me want to try the CP next year, and I found other varieties too, such as a Maglia Rose, the pineapple type, black from tula, and a japanese plum thingy. I'd like a paste tomato in there, too. But given my limited space, that'll mean basically one or two plants of each variety :(

I successfully rooted a brandywine sucker from my mom's garden last month, it'll go into final pot soon (or maybe ground), but not sure whether it'll produce before it gets too hot here. Fingers crossed!

If you've never grown Cherokee Purple, you've never eaten a real tomato. Next year, plant those for sure. Nothing beats Cherokee Purple. Brandywine was really nice, but I think I picked it at the exact moment of prime ripeness, and then I ate it right away while it was still warm from the garden. I know I said I may have a new favorite tomato, but it will take more than one tomato for me to make a real decision. So despite what I said earlier, Cherokee Purple is certainly my favorite, but that Brandywine tomato I ate today was just heavenly. I'll plant more next year and be able to compare it better to Cherokee Purple, but overall, CP is my favorite. You've not had a decent tomato until you've had a Cherokee Purple.

Ray 07-23-2020 08:14 AM

A friend gave me a Brandywine plant this year and it IS quite good, but I’m pretty fond of “German Johnson” tomatoes, too.

Up in PA, we had too many big trees (little sun) and too many deer to grow much, but I did put in a small raised bed here in NC and threw a couple Husky Cherry tomato plants that have been producing for more than a month now and they are quite good.

JScott 07-23-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 930445)
A friend gave me a Brandywine plant this year and it IS quite good, but I’m pretty fond of “German Johnson” tomatoes, too.

Up in PA, we had too many big trees (little sun) and too many deer to grow much, but I did put in a small raised bed here in NC and threw a couple Husky Cherry tomato plants that have been producing for more than a month now and they are quite good.

I LOVE Husky Cherry. At the garden center i managed, Supersweet 100 was the most popular cherry, but i find them flavorless and too sweet, so i would always try to encourage people to get Husky Cherry instead. I've never tried German Johnson. I'll put that on my list for next year. Thanks for the tip.

I googled them just now, and they sure are pretty. I'm definitely going to try those. I never see the plants in the garden center, but I'm sure I can get some seeds and start them under my T5 lights in late winter to have some good starts to plant when it's time (which is about mid March here in Texas)

WaterWitchin 07-23-2020 08:36 AM

Next year, try the cherry tomato "Chocolate Cherry." It's like a Purple Cherokee shrunk to miniature.

JScott 07-23-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 930449)
Next year, try the cherry tomato "Chocolate Cherry." It's like a Purple Cherokee shrunk to miniature.

I love chocolate cherry. It's hard to find around here tho. That's another one I'd probably have to start from seed under my lights in the winter to have them ready to plant in March.

DirtyCoconuts 07-23-2020 10:03 AM

oooh now you guys are talking...the big tomatoes get destroyed here and there is too small a window for me to pursue them but i do love the minis.

my favorite are the Chocolate cherry, yellow pear, and the tumbling tom (made for containers but really flavorful) and of course the everglades tomato

there is also sun sugar which is a yellow that has good texture and flavor