Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   My 1st repotting (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/103606-1st-repotting.html)

LarryMac 05-28-2020 02:28 PM

My 1st repotting

I've never repotted an orchid before so bear with me. I'm planning to convert my 5 orchids that have never been repotted for years to semi-hydroponic. Some of them have long aerial roots and a few look a little sickly and no-longer blooming. Should I tuck the aerial roots into the pot amongst the leca or keep them above hanging over the pot?

Veksa 05-29-2020 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMac (Post 922645)
I've never repotted an orchid before so bear with me. I'm planning to convert my 5 orchids that have never been repotted for years to semi-hydroponic. Some of them have long aerial roots and a few look a little sickly and no-longer blooming. Should I tuck the aerial roots into the pot amongst the leca or keep them above hanging over the pot?

:hello It will depend on a condition of a particular root. Give them a good soak prior to repotting. Do not force anything in the media. Most likely it will not be possible to tuck every root in the pot.

SouthPark 05-29-2020 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMac (Post 922645)
and a few look a little sickly and no-longer blooming. Should I tuck the aerial roots into the pot amongst the leca or keep them above hanging over the pot?

What sort of orchids are they? Maybe beneficial to post some photo - just to see what they are ---- and to see their condition etc.

If the orchid had been growing aerial roots, then it should be ok to leave them out, since if those ones were surviving for that amount of time, then they should be fine remaining as they are - outside of the pot.

If some of the roots can physically be tucked without snapping or bending them too much, then tucking some into the pot would be an option.

Maybe photos of the orchids you mention appear 'sickly' will help with assessing the situation. Sometimes - finding out possible or likely reasons they became sickly could help with growing methods ----- since if an orchid is in poor health already, then transitioning to some other method could make it even more unhealthy.

camille1585 05-29-2020 02:08 AM

In addition to what's been said before, you need to time moment of transition to S/H just right. It's very important that the plants have active new root growth. Not old roots continuing to grow, but brand new roots from the base of the plant. These roots will grow into the leca and S/H environment and be adapted to it, and ready to take over for the old roots.

What sort of orchids are they?

LarryMac 05-29-2020 10:34 AM

phalaenopsis

99% sure :blushing: