Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Oncidium Sharry baby snowflake leaf spots (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/100889-oncidium-sharry-baby-snowflake-leaf-spots.html)

Jodsbods19 07-06-2019 02:38 AM

Oncidium Sharry baby snowflake leaf spots

1 Attachment(s)
I have just purchased this orchid online from a nursery in a different state, and noticed it has these snowflake-looking spots on the leaves. I have looked online, but I can’t find any photos of a similar spot. I’ve read that Sharry baby is prone to leaf spotting, but as the pattern of this looks like it’s spreading, I think it must be a pathogen of some sorts.

Any ideas on what sort of pathogen it is? And how to treat it?

Ray 07-06-2019 09:44 AM

Looks like a localized fungal infection to me. I'd merely nip off the affected leaf ends with scissors.

Dollythehun 07-06-2019 05:57 PM

Do not expect perfect foliage on plants of this tribe. You will be sorely disappointed. Do as Ray says, and you can dust the the cut edge with cinnamon if you like. Sterilize your snippers with flame afterwards. You will have covered all your bases.

SouthPark 07-09-2019 07:33 PM

I agree with Ray and Dolly. Maybe could even spray some mancozeb on the plant as well.

Jodsbods19 07-09-2019 08:23 PM

Thanks! I’ve snipped off the affected areas, so will see how she goes. She also has almost no roots, as there were bush snails in the media. Hope she can pull through, I’d love to see her bloom!

SouthPark 07-09-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodsbods19 (Post 898687)
Thanks! I’ve snipped off the affected areas, so will see how she goes. She also has almost no roots, as there were bush snails in the media. Hope she can pull through, I’d love to see her bloom!

Grab some ezi-root gel if you can. Put some of that around the roots area.

Jodsbods19 07-09-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPark (Post 898689)
Grab some ezi-root gel if you can. Put some of that around the roots area.

Ooh, I should have done that. It’s nearly a week since I repotted, is it worth repotting again? I do have some auxinone I was planning to add to its watering.

SouthPark 07-10-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodsbods19 (Post 898690)
Ooh, I should have done that. It’s nearly a week since I repotted, is it worth repotting again? I do have some auxinone I was planning to add to its watering.

Oh ... nice! You're definitely well-equipped as it seems already. Probably no need to repot. The plant will likely become re-established by itself. If there's still adequate amount of roots, then it will be fine to use a little auxinone mixed in the water. Maybe just give to the plant just once for 1 watering, just to get something into it hehe.

The ridiculous thing earlier this week was. I was looking around for my ezi-root gel, and couldn't find it. So then went online to buy another bottle of it. And about half an hour later, opened up a cupboard, and there is was --- after having searched around for it for ages. I didn't need it at the time, but was just wondering where it was - in case I needed it haha.

Jodsbods19 07-10-2019 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She doesn’t have many roots at all...

I picked up the ezi-grow and auxinone at my first orchid show the other weekend- trying to rescue some tragic phals.

SouthPark 07-10-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodsbods19 (Post 898787)
I picked up the ezi-grow and auxinone at my first orchid show the other weekend- trying to rescue some tragic phals.

Nice!!! The ezi-root gel (the blue viscous gel) can definitely help a lot. The sharry baby still has some substantial roots hanging off it, which is nice. Looks like it'll make it for sure.