Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   is this a reasonable complaint? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/100667-reasonable-complaint.html)

bil 05-29-2019 02:20 PM

is this a reasonable complaint?

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this Den hibiki Sandra's delight, and it arrived with 3 out of six pBs rotting and one green leaf only. All three green pBs look old and frankly past their best. I have approached the company, and have been told that the orchid is fine and that is how it should look at this time of year.
I'd appreciate comments on whether people think they are correct or not.

fishmom 05-29-2019 02:36 PM

Here is another thread on hibiki: Den Hibiki culture tips?

Rotting bulbs don't sound good, and it is supposed to be a spring/summer bloomer, so it shouldn't be dormant in Spain now. Sounds like it got dried out for too long, maybe. I'd say you are justified in your complaint.

bil 05-29-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmom (Post 896990)
Here is another thread on hibiki: Den Hibiki culture tips?

Rotting bulbs don't sound good, and it is supposed to be a spring/summer bloomer, so it shouldn't be dormant in Spain now. Sounds like it got dried out for too long, maybe. I'd say you are justified in your complaint.

Well, I had one before, (had to leave the greenhouse with my OH last winter/ spring and as she isn't a serious orchid person, she didn't realise that a couple were getting too hot. Still she kept most alive for me for which I was deeply grateful.) and yeah, it does sound like horsefeathers to me. I just wanted to get a feel for what everyone else thought.
Thanks for the culture tips.

OrchidBro 05-29-2019 02:51 PM

I wouldn't pay money for that orchid.

bil 05-29-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrchidBro (Post 896993)
I wouldn't pay money for that orchid.

Yeah, me neither if it had looked like that.

Dollythehun 05-29-2019 03:08 PM

This is not related to your orchid but, I'm glad to hear from you. Hope you're well and I, for one, missed your posts.

bil 05-29-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 896995)
This is not related to your orchid but, I'm glad to hear from you. Hope you're well and I, for one, missed your posts.

Wotcher Dolly, lovely to see you again. You know how it is, things change and you forget to look for posts. Thanks for the kind words. How's the weather there? We have finally slid into reliable summer weather after a very dodgy spring, but the downside is that we are now locked into the usual summer watering regime plus an hour a day with all the orchids!

Dollythehun 05-29-2019 04:46 PM

Wet, bill... Very, very wet. And cold, punctuated with a hot day here and there. No garden planted, no orchids outside. Still, so many have been flooded or had their homes blown apart by tornados, we feel blessed. Surely the prices of beef and corn and soybeans will go up, as the steers drown and our farmers can't plant yet. Give your OH a hug from me. My husband would've killed ALL my orchids! God bless her heart!

rbarata 05-29-2019 05:07 PM

Bil, my friend...glad to see you around again.:)

Quote:

We have finally slid into reliable summer weather after a very dodgy spring, but the downside is that we are now locked into the usual summer watering regime plus an hour a day with all the orchids!
Same here but now I work 100 kms away from home so the extra hour that could be spent watering is to drive.

About your orchid: I wouldn't buy it if I knew its condition before.

bil 05-29-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 896998)
Wet, bill... Very, very wet. And cold, punctuated with a hot day here and there. No garden planted, no orchids outside. Still, so many have been flooded or had their homes blown apart by tornados, we feel blessed. Surely the prices of beef and corn and soybeans will go up, as the steers drown and our farmers can't plant yet. Give your OH a hug from me. My husband would've killed ALL my orchids! God bless her heart!

Dolly you are a sweetheart. I will tell her that. I am so sorry to hear there are so may problems there. Sadly it seems that the people at the bottom of the ladder are left to rot while the politicians and so on just get richer.
I will buy some more orchids and try not to think about it. I suggest you do the same.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 896999)
Bil, my friend...glad to see you around again.:)

Same here but now I work 100 kms away from home so the extra hour that could be spent watering is to drive.

About your orchid: I wouldn't buy it if I knew its condition before.

Thanks for the kind words. Gotta say, if you saw it before you bought, then who would buy it?