Use of cinnamon in orchids
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Use of cinnamon in orchids
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 06-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Luis Renato Luis Renato is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Member of:APRO
Location: Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Posts: 269
Use of cinnamon in orchids Male
Default Use of cinnamon in orchids

I just translated one of my articles about the use of cinnamon in orchids. I hope it is useful to someone!

Use of cinnamon in orchids - The Orchid Dude

See ya!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Likes
Likes katrina, DeaC, silken liked this post
  #2  
Old 06-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,590
Use of cinnamon in orchids Male
Default

Luis,

I published several "home remedies" using cinnamon about 20 years ago (you can find the info at firstrays.com), and you're welcome to include some of those in your page.

Unlike Orchid Girl, I am certain that cinnamon bark powder does contain a mild bactericide/fungicide, cinnamaldehyde.

Folks should also look into cinnamon leaf oil, as that contains eugenol, which is a far more powerful disinfectant, which, especially when diluted in water or alcohol, does not have the desiccating effect that the powder does.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes DeaC, fishmom liked this post
  #3  
Old 06-30-2016, 12:47 PM
fishmom's Avatar
fishmom fishmom is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 9b
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 1,628
Default

Interesting, Ray. I have purchased Cinnamon extract to add to my alcohol-soap-water mix, but I bet it is not the same as cinnamon leaf oil. It is in an alcohol base. I wonder now if it has any efficacy at all, or if the alcohol-soap component is the only effective part of this mix.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Leafmite's Avatar
Leafmite Leafmite is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Zone: 5b
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,865
Use of cinnamon in orchids
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Luis,
Unlike Orchid Girl, I am certain that cinnamon bark powder does contain a mild bactericide/fungicide, cinnamaldehyde.
There are studies done (some with bread) that show the results of cinnamon and fungus, both with Cinnamomum verum and Cinnamomum cassia and both with the leaves and bark. I am not sure if any experiments are out there concerning bacteria but the science seems good for the fungicide part.

People sometimes claim that it was good for scale and, quite frankly, I do disagree with that, at least for the verum-type. I grow the verum type and, until I began to use coffee grounds, it was a magnet for scale. It would be completely covered with it unless I used systemic.
__________________
I decorate in green!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,590
Use of cinnamon in orchids Male
Default

I read a study many years ago that showed that cinnamon can kill the bacterium that had been implicated in I the formation of many stomach ulcers. Eat your cinnamon toast!
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2016, 07:11 PM
Leafmite's Avatar
Leafmite Leafmite is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Zone: 5b
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,865
Use of cinnamon in orchids
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I read a study many years ago that showed that cinnamon can kill the bacterium that had been implicated in I the formation of many stomach ulcers. Eat your cinnamon toast!
The verum is the better one health-wise if you are going to eat more than a teaspoon of cinnamon a day. The other has more coumarin. Cinnamon has many health benefits, though, when eaten in reasonable amounts (or if you boil cinnamon sticks as the coumarin doesn't seem to dissolve in water).
__________________
I decorate in green!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Luis Renato Luis Renato is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Member of:APRO
Location: Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Posts: 269
Use of cinnamon in orchids Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Luis,

I published several "home remedies" using cinnamon about 20 years ago (you can find the info at firstrays.com), and you're welcome to include some of those in your page.

Unlike Orchid Girl, I am certain that cinnamon bark powder does contain a mild bactericide/fungicide, cinnamaldehyde.

Folks should also look into cinnamon leaf oil, as that contains eugenol, which is a far more powerful disinfectant, which, especially when diluted in water or alcohol, does not have the desiccating effect that the powder does.
Thanks Ray, I'll take a lot there. We can talk about it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmom View Post
Interesting, Ray. I have purchased Cinnamon extract to add to my alcohol-soap-water mix, but I bet it is not the same as cinnamon leaf oil. It is in an alcohol base. I wonder now if it has any efficacy at all, or if the alcohol-soap component is the only effective part of this mix.
alcohol-soap is something new to me. Here we are used to do a lot of "do it yourself", but always I try to find some scientific base to some mixture. You'll see later with other articles that I'm preparing that I use hydrogen peroxide, pyroligneous acid and even
aspirin besides cinnamon. Yes, I know, for some people its strange, but I try to be more natural in my greenhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
There are studies done (some with bread) that show the results of cinnamon and fungus, both with Cinnamomum verum and Cinnamomum cassia and both with the leaves and bark. I am not sure if any experiments are out there concerning bacteria but the science seems good for the fungicide part.

People sometimes claim that it was good for scale and, quite frankly, I do disagree with that, at least for the verum-type. I grow the verum type and, until I began to use coffee grounds, it was a magnet for scale. It would be completely covered with it unless I used systemic.
The cinnamon type matters. Unfortunately, sometime I don't know the type that I'm buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I read a study many years ago that showed that cinnamon can kill the bacterium that had been implicated in I the formation of many stomach ulcers. Eat your cinnamon toast!
Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
The verum is the better one health-wise if you are going to eat more than a teaspoon of cinnamon a day. The other has more coumarin. Cinnamon has many health benefits, though, when eaten in reasonable amounts (or if you boil cinnamon sticks as the coumarin doesn't seem to dissolve in water).
The sticks have the advantage of keeping the good stuff util you boil or make powder of it to use, compared to the one that you already buy in the powder shape.

Good to know that my topic generated some discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2016, 08:06 PM
fishmom's Avatar
fishmom fishmom is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 9b
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 1,628
Default

This is the recipe for the mix I use:

The Best Stuff Ever (Brookn's recipe)

10 drops dishsoap
1.8 ml cinnamon extract (about 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups tepid water

adjust ingredients as needed.

I have added a bit of alcohol as I am often fighting mealies, and the alcohol seems to be effective on them. I keep it in a spray bottle, and it is a good general contact cleaner for the plants.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,590
Use of cinnamon in orchids Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Renato View Post
...I try to be more natural in my greenhouse.
To some degree, you may be fooling yourself to assume that the use of "natural" treatments are better or safer than commercial ones.

Many modern treatments are designed to be very specific in what they affect, and degrade very rapidly into inert or innocuous compounds, while we really know little about the persistence of "natural" ones, or whether they may affect "good bugs".
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Luis Renato Luis Renato is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Member of:APRO
Location: Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Posts: 269
Use of cinnamon in orchids Male
Default

I agree with the fact that natural could be less efficient than the Comercial ones. This is why I try to do it, but when the best option is something comercial, I use it.

An example? I use Comercial fungicide and fertilizer. But I try to avoid bugs and some diseases with plants around the greenhouse. It works. I just try to equilibrate them



Enviado de meu LG-H818 usando Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
articles, cinnamon, hope, orchids, translated


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desert Valley OS: Phyllis Prestia: Orchids of Madagascar estación seca Orchids in the Wild 4 10-26-2016 04:35 PM
Book list Graehstone Orchid Lounge 25 11-09-2013 09:27 AM
What is this on my new shoot?? Helen Cattleya Alliance 19 09-20-2012 06:35 PM
A Practical 150 gal Orchidarium-eBay cheap brsword Growing Under Lights 5 02-19-2010 06:39 PM
Cinnamon use for black spots and roots on Orchids Sandrilene Beginner Discussion 4 02-15-2010 07:30 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.