Mesophyll cell collapse-- what should I do with my collection?
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Mesophyll cell collapse-- what should I do with my collection?
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
(..._...) (..._...) is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Zone: 5b
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 789
Default Mesophyll cell collapse-- what should I do with my collection?

After reading about it, I am pretty sure my collection has Mesophyll cell collapse
The funny thing is, regardless of whether or not the fungus on my other non- phals is this 'Mesophyll cell collapse', my Paphs and Miltoniopsis are the only ones that have not developed some form of markings.

Anyways, what should I do? I am going to continue to use a fungicide treatment on all my plants ( as I have been doing every week). only 7 of my collection ( of about 25), the 3 pahs and 4 milts show no symptoms, about 7 more have little marks here and there, though it seems controlled, and another few seem to have more markings. At this point, it would be pointless to throw out a large portion of my collection, since most either have it, or seem to be imune to it.

It is also annoying, since I do not want to spend more money on plants that may potentially catch this bacteria.

What would you guys do?

Thanks
Cam
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Lagoon's Avatar
Lagoon Lagoon is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Zone: 5a
Location: Quebec, Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 5,406
Default

Its a hard one to answer!
But for me dealing with this for a few years, I recently decided to flip them into the trash. There's nothing I felt I could do for these phals.

If you want to continue to treat them, then do that, but perhaps in a quarantined area.

Oddy enough I've not seen this in my phal species.

Most of the phals infected were from the BBS. I won't be picking these up anymore.

Good luck to you Cam in which ever way you decide
__________________
Gloria


'A day without laughter is a day wasted'
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
(..._...) (..._...) is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Zone: 5b
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 789
Default

Well, I think that I will throw out the one that has the most markings. As well as another phal which never performed well for me to begin with ( It was one of my first ones, which I almost killed, from 2001, and it has never re- bloomed!!! lol) The rest, we'll I guess I will keep an eye on them and see what happens.

Wish me luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon View Post
Its a hard one to answer!
But for me dealing with this for a few years, I recently decided to flip them into the trash. There's nothing I felt I could do for these phals.

If you want to continue to treat them, then do that, but perhaps in a quarantined area.

Oddy enough I've not seen this in my phal species.

Most of the phals infected were from the BBS. I won't be picking these up anymore.

Good luck to you Cam in which ever way you decide
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Gwenchanter Gwenchanter is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Zone: 11
Location: Miami, FL
Age: 38
Posts: 165
Default

Can't this also be caused by cold temperatures? One of my orchids got a bit chilly last year and got some mesophylial collapse from that I assume.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
priz_m priz_m is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 664
Default

I am sorry to hear that, it sounds awful though
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
(..._...) (..._...) is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Zone: 5b
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 789
Default

I heard that too. Apparently water that is 4 degrees C colder than the leaf temperature can cause this , but my collection seems to have more of a bacteria issue, it bagan to appear in the middle of the summer!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenchanter View Post
Can't this also be caused by cold temperatures? One of my orchids got a bit chilly last year and got some mesophylial collapse from that I assume.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 PM
(..._...) (..._...) is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Zone: 5b
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 789
Default

Thanks for your sympathy! Its not much fun! I also had mealy bugs and spider mites!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by priz_m View Post
I am sorry to hear that, it sounds awful though
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Ross Ross is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Zone: 5a
Posts: 9,277
Default

I really feel for ya Cam! Truly. When the hail storm a few years ago that wiped out my extensive Phal collection (they looked like confetti) I had to adopt a new attitude. I've gotten over it. It happens. We move on. We get new orchids We start moving into new genera we hadn't considered in the past. We forget the old guys (well not totally ) We become newly expert in new areas. See how that migrates? Never give up the hobby! Just look for the opportunities to branch into other areas or other Phals (in your case). Make a list of 'chids you haven't grown before and move along. That's the only advice I can give (as flawed as it may be in some areas). If, in fact you have the "cell collapse" stuff, then I'd recommend clearing the slate, sterilizing the benches, and start over. It's just a hobby. This time, take the time to learn from all you've seen and either try again with same genera or try new ones. For me, it was new ones. Still have a couple that made it unscathed from the hail, but for the most part, I had too many attractions in other areas and this gave me the chance to move those ways. Sorry for rambling....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
(..._...) (..._...) is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Zone: 5b
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 789
Default

Thank you! You are right! In fact, I had many phals that were given as gifts that I did not want to throw out, but they were taking up space that could have been used for more 'interesting' orchids! I am just going to wait and see what happens, ( many of my plants have nothing, or fungus that hasn't spread much thanks to the fungicide).

Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I really feel for ya Cam! Truly. When the hail storm a few years ago that wiped out my extensive Phal collection (they looked like confetti) I had to adopt a new attitude. I've gotten over it. It happens. We move on. We get new orchids We start moving into new genera we hadn't considered in the past. We forget the old guys (well not totally ) We become newly expert in new areas. See how that migrates? Never give up the hobby! Just look for the opportunities to branch into other areas or other Phals (in your case). Make a list of 'chids you haven't grown before and move along. That's the only advice I can give (as flawed as it may be in some areas). If, in fact you have the "cell collapse" stuff, then I'd recommend clearing the slate, sterilizing the benches, and start over. It's just a hobby. This time, take the time to learn from all you've seen and either try again with same genera or try new ones. For me, it was new ones. Still have a couple that made it unscathed from the hail, but for the most part, I had too many attractions in other areas and this gave me the chance to move those ways. Sorry for rambling....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cell, collection, markings, mesophyll, plants, collapse--


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Collection going to S/H (13 of 36 so far) slide1475 Semi-Hydroponic Culture 1 01-11-2009 10:47 AM
Orchid Collection Database Tropic Advanced Discussion 44 11-24-2008 05:42 PM
Mesophyll Cell Collapse Shirley Hybrids 14 11-11-2008 06:48 AM
Pictures of my collection Seikai Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 18 10-29-2008 06:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.