Sogo Vivien variegated
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Sogo Vivien variegated
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #21  
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
terracotta7 terracotta7 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 755
Sogo Vivien variegated
Default

That is a beauty! Congratulations! I hope that all the waiting was worth it now
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM
PlantTeeth PlantTeeth is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Zone: 8b
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 204
Sogo Vivien variegated Female
Default

Great looking plants! The colors are neat!

via mobile
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Pilot Pilot is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Zone: 5b
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,615
Sogo Vivien variegated Male
Default

My other Vivien variegated has grown a new leaf and seems about 1/3 grown now if you compare it to the precious leaves and not a bit of green is on it!!! The poor thing... I was hoping for a least a titch of green to help the plant be more vigorous. It still has growing to do so maybe it still will have some green. I feed this plant very weakly and spray the foliage directly with the water- solo mix. I hadn't done this before but began when the new leaf began to show and it seems to have helped. The leaf grew to this size quickly. However, I noticed some red spots on the leaf. I grabbed the magnifying glass and the spots appear to be a part of the actual tissue. Ever since my mite out break I spray periodically and having magnified it I can confirm its not mites. Any idea what it is?



Not seen are the roots. This plant doesn't have many roots but since planting it in this globe, its sprung several and all look great, even if they are entirely white! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Pilot Pilot is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Zone: 5b
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,615
Sogo Vivien variegated Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki_James View Post
Wow that almost all white one is lovely!!!and it looks happy!! I once had an absolutely pure white Hosta that I discovered working with a locale perennial grower. I loved it so much but I had to pump it full of fertilizer constantly because I was pretty sure it had no way of making food for itself..It got huge and lasted about 3 years..then one spring I think it just ran out of steam and didn't come back....soo sad

I'm not experienced enough to try a variegated phal yet..I need something that can take my abuse.
People say these plants are more difficult but I don't agree. You basically do the same thing for them as other phals but less... Meaning fertilizer is less, light is less...the only thing I give plenty of is heat. Because they're so slow to grow, keeping them warm keeps them growing and keeps them from cold rot...at least that's what I call it when the plant stays too wet and cold for too long.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Wild Orchid Wild Orchid is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 416
Sogo Vivien variegated
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
My other Vivien variegated has grown a new leaf and seems about 1/3 grown now if you compare it to the precious leaves and not a bit of green is on it!!! The poor thing... I was hoping for a least a titch of green to help the plant be more vigorous. It still has growing to do so maybe it still will have some green. I feed this plant very weakly and spray the foliage directly with the water- solo mix. I hadn't done this before but began when the new leaf began to show and it seems to have helped. The leaf grew to this size quickly. However, I noticed some red spots on the leaf. I grabbed the magnifying glass and the spots appear to be a part of the actual tissue. Ever since my mite out break I spray periodically and having magnified it I can confirm its not mites. Any idea what it is?
Lol
Given so much moisture, could the spots be related to some fungus/bacterial growth?
How do you prevent rot in both roots and crown areas in this environment?

You have a lovely plant!!

Last edited by Wild Orchid; 08-10-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM
NYCorchidman NYCorchidman is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,196
Sogo Vivien variegated
Default

I love those yellow leaves!

I'm not 100% sure, but yellow part should have some chlorophyll. Completely white portion on certain plants probably don't have any, but I think the yellow leaves do contain some chlorophyll.

By the way, maybe you have already mentioned in earlier posts, but are these individual and random mutation or yellow leafed ones are available as distinct clone?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Pilot Pilot is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Zone: 5b
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,615
Sogo Vivien variegated Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilia View Post
Given so much moisture, could the spots be related to some fungus/bacterial growth?
How do you prevent rot in both roots and crown areas in this environment?

You have a lovely plant!!

Lilia
Lilia, I'm not terribly concerned about too much moisture. At an altitude if nearly 7000 feet mean sea level, moisture is a relative term. The plant is in moss that is damp. It won't wet your finger if you touch it, if that helps, but you can tell there is moisture as its not crunchy. The plant gets heavily listed when the surrounding moss does indeed dry out.

It could be a fungus but at close inspection it has neither pushy so form nor is there any associated rot. Honesty, I think it might just be a normal coloration and it may be apparent because it may be on the high end of the level of light it can handle...time will tell!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Wild Orchid liked this post
  #28  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Pilot Pilot is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Zone: 5b
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,615
Sogo Vivien variegated Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCorchidman View Post
I love those yellow leaves!

I'm not 100% sure, but yellow part should have some chlorophyll. Completely white portion on certain plants probably don't have any, but I think the yellow leaves do contain some chlorophyll.

By the way, maybe you have already mentioned in earlier posts, but are these individual and random mutation or yellow leafed ones are available as distinct clone?
Honestly I don't know. I read somewhere once that variegation in phals was once a virus but through breeding and other technological intervention, they bred this plant as it is now. I don't even know if mine are clones or if they were propagated by seed.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM
NYCorchidman NYCorchidman is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,196
Sogo Vivien variegated
Default

I see!

Regarding the red spots on the new leaf.
Almost all of my phal hybrids except for the white and green flowered ones, will show lots of tiny red spots as new leaves emerge. Some or all of them disappear as the leaves grow larger.
At least for mine, it is just pigmentation and possibly response to the light like self tanning.
I hope yours is fine also.

Is the surface smooth or bumpy or dented?
I think as long as the surface is smooth, then it's not mites. could be microscopic attack, but see if they increase in size over the course of next one week or so.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Pilot Pilot is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Zone: 5b
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,615
Sogo Vivien variegated Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCorchidman View Post
I see!

Regarding the red spots on the new leaf.
Almost all of my phal hybrids except for the white and green flowered ones, will show lots of tiny red spots as new leaves emerge. Some or all of them disappear as the leaves grow larger.
At least for mine, it is just pigmentation and possibly response to the light like self tanning.
I hope yours is fine also.

Is the surface smooth or bumpy or dented?
I think as long as the surface is smooth, then it's not mites. could be microscopic attack, but see if they increase in size over the course of next one week or so.
It's smooth. In fact the only bumps I see on the plant is where the green grows, as if the leave is thicker or fuller there. I am not at all worried about the spots as they just don't look like anything bad. Like you, I see lots of mottling or different colors when a leaf first emerges.

Are you going to the Brooklyn show coming up? Bud is going. I wish I could go as Denver shows are always very small and not terribly interesting. He's looking for a bean leaf neo for me!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
green, healthy, plant, robust, vivien, variegated, sogo


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phal Sogo Vivien variegated Pilot Hybrids 5 11-20-2012 01:40 AM
scored a Sogo Vivien varigated leaf :) chidlove Hybrids 15 02-13-2012 08:38 PM
Phal. Sogo Vivien care/Introduction DragonSpirit1185 Beginner Discussion 10 01-10-2012 02:20 PM
Dtps. Sogo Vivien... what a little temptress you are! Jennyfleur Hybrids 9 07-09-2011 10:47 AM
Phal. 'Sogo Vivien' chris_todd Hybrids 4 01-13-2010 12:35 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.