Slime in Water Reservoir
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Slime in Water Reservoir
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 02-02-2010, 08:33 PM
lycaonpictus lycaonpictus is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Zone: 5b
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 57
Posts: 123
Slime in Water Reservoir Female
Question Slime in Water Reservoir

I have a two gallon reservoir in my wardian case in which floats an ultrasonic mister. The orchids seem to love it so far (I haven't had it that long).

I've found, however, that a clear sort of slime quickly forms on the inside surface of the container (below water line) and on the mister / float. Every few days I wash everything off and fill with fresh water, but it tends to come back just as fast.

Not a problem, really, since it's a small reservoir and a small collection. I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced this, and what possible solutions were out there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Connie Star Connie Star is offline
Senior Member
Slime in Water Reservoir
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Zone: 5a
Location: MA, USA and Atenas Costa Rica
Posts: 1,495
Default

Does it smell? Could be non-pathogenic bacteria, like Pseudomonas.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM
lycaonpictus lycaonpictus is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Zone: 5b
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 57
Posts: 123
Slime in Water Reservoir Female
Default

Ironically, I do not have a sense of smell, so cannot answer this. :/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Connie Star Connie Star is offline
Senior Member
Slime in Water Reservoir
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Zone: 5a
Location: MA, USA and Atenas Costa Rica
Posts: 1,495
Default

Does it look like the slime that you get on top of the water you put cut flowers in? If so then it's probably bacteria. Probably harmless, too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 PM
lycaonpictus lycaonpictus is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Zone: 5b
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 57
Posts: 123
Slime in Water Reservoir Female
Default

Yeah, I figured it was some kind of biofilm. (**wave from a fellow biologist in Western PA** ) I'm not so much worried about whether it's harmless as how I might avoid the...icky. I'm sure a tsp of bleach would take care of it, but I didn't want to do that in an enclosed case.

So I was just wondering if anybody had "orchids in an enclosed space" tips for minimizing it. I'll just end up dealing with it if not.

Thanks for the input, Connie!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 AM
BioWheel BioWheel is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 36
Default

You could try AlgaeFix from pet store. Copper based - not bleach. OK for enclosed area.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM
lycaonpictus lycaonpictus is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Zone: 5b
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 57
Posts: 123
Slime in Water Reservoir Female
Default

Great! Thanks, BioWheel!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
neb neb is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Zone: 7b
Location: up state SC
Age: 40
Posts: 443
Default

I would be careful with a copper based product especially since your problem is not algae. After all if a product will kill algae it probably won’t be too good for you plants. I would try adding hydrogen peroxide to the water or something else that won’t leave heavy metals behind.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM
BioWheel BioWheel is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 36
Default

We aren't sure what 'it' is so your statement that the problem 'is not algae' is false.

I use copper algaecide in my aquarium and it doesn't kill plants - just algae. Of course - too much could be added and that might be a problem so start with a couple drops and go from there.

Peroxide is a good solution as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Connie Star Connie Star is offline
Senior Member
Slime in Water Reservoir
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Zone: 5a
Location: MA, USA and Atenas Costa Rica
Posts: 1,495
Default

Technically speaking, copper is not a heavy metal. There is a requirement for small amounts of it, along with zinc, in human and plant enzymatic processes. It's one of the micronutrients, so it shouldn't harm plants, unless of course too much is applied. There's usually copper in tap water, too, from the plumbing. Like everything else in life, balance is the key.
I hope this isn't too much of a lecture. I'm getting philosophical in my dotage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
fast, mister, reservoir, slime, water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New discussion on R.O. water Ross Advanced Discussion 45 06-06-2009 08:08 AM
RO water dangers HereticHammer Advanced Discussion 16 05-13-2009 07:21 PM
Rain water collector toxic? JackiBlu Beginner Discussion 1 03-29-2009 08:40 PM
Water uptake rates ScottMcC Advanced Discussion 17 11-05-2006 06:07 PM
Water quality ScottMcC Beginner Discussion 3 06-19-2006 12:49 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.