C. walkeriana flower bud!
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

C. walkeriana flower bud!
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 08-25-2021, 07:55 AM
papayj papayj is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seoul
Age: 39
Posts: 273
C. walkeriana flower bud! Male
Default C. walkeriana flower bud!



Two new growths appeared on my C. walkeriana. I think the one on the leading pseudobulb is (most likely) an inflorescence, as it is more rounder and terminates with reddish sheath-like growth; and the one coming out of the back bulb is just a new pseudobulb, as you can see there is a green leaf tip emerging from the growth (it is also quite flat). It is interesting to see the difference between these two growths.

BTW, mine is growing on a pseudo-semihydro-mount-ish thingy I have built from a rolled up plastic gutter guard lined with fiber clothes (actually, chopped up dish washing scrub pad) and chunks of pumice, which is sitting inside a reservoir filled with gravel and water. So far, it worked quite nicely and all of my walkerianas are now being grown like this.
Attached Thumbnails
C. walkeriana flower bud!-walkeriana-jpg  
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 7 Likes
  #2  
Old 08-25-2021, 08:09 AM
Shadeflower's Avatar
Shadeflower Shadeflower is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 746
C. walkeriana flower bud!
Default

I'm not too sure. Wait till someone who grows walkeriana can comment - to me both growths look too similar to be different from each other.
Leaves can be green or purple, and they both look like leaves to me ..

bud I found online for comparrison: Flickr

Last edited by Shadeflower; 08-25-2021 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2021, 09:22 AM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 41
Posts: 9,110
Default

I'm curious to see how that other one progresses. I generally see either inflorescences or new growths happening at any given time, not both simultaneously. Certainly could happen, just not super common! Spikes on walkeriana & nobilior are usually more pointed than new growths. Here's a progress shot on a nobilior spike: Cattleya nobilior var amaliae by Stephen Van Kampen-Lewis, on Flickr
__________________
Stephen Van Kampen-Lewis

Pics on Flickr

Instagram

YouTube
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 4 Likes
  #4  
Old 09-01-2021, 01:20 AM
papayj papayj is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seoul
Age: 39
Posts: 273
C. walkeriana flower bud! Male
Default

It is indeed an inflorescence.



Two buds are emerging from the growth.

And this is the lower growth, which is just a new bulb.



And it is currently sending out new roots.
Attached Thumbnails
C. walkeriana flower bud!-cw1-jpg   C. walkeriana flower bud!-cw2-jpg   C. walkeriana flower bud!-cw3-jpg  
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 4 Likes
  #5  
Old 09-01-2021, 09:24 AM
isurus79's Avatar
isurus79 isurus79 is offline
Senior Member
American Orchid Society Judge
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Austin, Texas
Age: 41
Posts: 9,110
Default

Ha! Very cool!
__________________
Stephen Van Kampen-Lewis

Pics on Flickr

Instagram

YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2021, 10:21 PM
Merita Merita is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Zone: 9b
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 279
C. walkeriana flower bud! Female
Default

Very pretty! Mine has a very ugly growth and the leaves are wrinkled at the beginning, it is very small but it blooms a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2021, 10:23 PM
thefish1337 thefish1337 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 250
C. walkeriana flower bud!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayj View Post
It is indeed an inflorescence.



Two buds are emerging from the growth.

And this is the lower growth, which is just a new bulb.



And it is currently sending out new roots.
Really cool method of growing! I really want to try your method of growing walkeriana! I've seen some Brazilian growers use something similar but they fill the cylinder with granite chips. your wicking method might be an upgrade. also a huge space saver because I have one walkeriana that grew 4" horizontally this year
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes papayj, pokefan_nat liked this post
  #8  
Old 09-02-2021, 03:51 AM
SADE2020's Avatar
SADE2020 SADE2020 is offline
Senior Member
C. walkeriana flower bud!
 

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Palma de Mallorca
Posts: 633
C. walkeriana flower bud! Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayj View Post


Two new growths appeared on my C. walkeriana. I think the one on the leading pseudobulb is (most likely) an inflorescence, as it is more rounder and terminates with reddish sheath-like growth; and the one coming out of the back bulb is just a new pseudobulb, as you can see there is a green leaf tip emerging from the growth (it is also quite flat). It is interesting to see the difference between these two growths.

BTW, mine is growing on a pseudo-semihydro-mount-ish thingy I have built from a rolled up plastic gutter guard lined with fiber clothes (actually, chopped up dish washing scrub pad) and chunks of pumice, which is sitting inside a reservoir filled with gravel and water. So far, it worked quite nicely and all of my walkerianas are now being grown like this.
Could you share a picture of the actual setup from a bit more far away?
__________________
Sade
***Mediterranean Conditions; learning something new every day ***
________________________________________
If you want to check 🔍 my stuff:
www.sadeorchids.com
Instagram

🌿🌸
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2021, 01:00 AM
papayj papayj is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seoul
Age: 39
Posts: 273
C. walkeriana flower bud! Male
Default



Actually, it was the third image I attached at my second post, but forgot to include into the post as a tag.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2021, 12:05 PM
JungleJo's Avatar
JungleJo JungleJo is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 89
C. walkeriana flower bud! Male
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefish1337 View Post
Really cool method of growing! I really want to try your method of growing walkeriana! I've seen some Brazilian growers use something similar but they fill the cylinder with granite chips. your wicking method might be an upgrade. also a huge space saver because I have one walkeriana that grew 4" horizontally this year
Walkeriana grows very well mounted
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
growths, pad, pseudobulb, walkeriana, washing


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Walkeriana 'pendentive' orchidsarefun Cattleya Alliance 16 09-05-2018 06:41 PM
Yellowing on flower sheath of Paphiopedilum SillyKeiki Pests & Diseases 4 09-02-2018 02:42 PM
suggest an orchid Vulpes Velox Beginner Discussion 7 11-15-2009 09:53 PM
Repotting when a flower spike is forming? jood Beginner Discussion 3 09-10-2009 05:19 AM
Corpse Flower Sandy4453 Off Topic - Totally 28 05-14-2009 10:04 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.