Fredclarkeara after dark dormancy and growth issues
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Fredclarkeara after dark dormancy and growth issues
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 08-11-2021, 05:47 PM
Leareu Leareu is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 11
Fredclarkeara after dark dormancy and growth issues Male
Default Fredclarkeara after dark dormancy and growth issues

Hi everyone,

I purchased this fdk back around March and I'm confused on what to do with it.

Now it's halfway through winter down here and I was just wondering what to do. It hasn't gone into dormancy even though I've stopped all watering and fertilizing so should I just leave it as is?

The second issue I have is that I decided to repot it from the sphagnum it was in into Kiwi bark and found that quite a bit of it was growing beneath the media. So my question is does it look fine? because the part of the growth above the media looks okay but the bits beneath look a bit skinny.

Thanks for the help


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2021, 05:01 AM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 4,709
Default

For this one - if it keeps growing, then just keep providing it warm conditions ----- it will eventually lose its leaves ---- eventually.

As long as the roots don't remain relatively cold plus wet all the time, and as long as the orchid looks like it isn't going into dormancy ------ then just keep looking after it as usual.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2021, 11:32 AM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 7,838
Fredclarkeara after dark dormancy and growth issues Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leareu View Post
Hi everyone,

I purchased this fdk back around March and I'm confused on what to do with it.

Now it's halfway through winter down here and I was just wondering what to do. It hasn't gone into dormancy even though I've stopped all watering and fertilizing so should I just leave it as is?

The second issue I have is that I decided to repot it from the sphagnum it was in into Kiwi bark and found that quite a bit of it was growing beneath the media. So my question is does it look fine? because the part of the growth above the media looks okay but the bits beneath look a bit skinny.

Thanks for the help


I agree, just keep on doing what you are doing with regard to water (none). It may or may not lose all its leaves, but just ignore it until the new growth is well on its way (like 8-10 cm!) As for medium, how big is it? When these are in rapid growth, they need to be quite wet - so a small plant (2 or 3 pseudobulbs) will be easier to keep that way in sphagnum. I go for bark (small) only on the larger plants where it would take too much sphagnum. And don't worry about roots... Last year's roots are still functional, any older than that are dead. It is the new roots with the new growth that will really sustain the plant. Catasetinae basically re-invent themselves every year.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

See what orchid species are blooming in Southern California(New page for October 2021)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2021, 06:27 PM
Leareu Leareu is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 11
Fredclarkeara after dark dormancy and growth issues Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
For this one - if it keeps growing, then just keep providing it warm conditions ----- it will eventually lose its leaves ---- eventually.

As long as the roots don't remain relatively cold plus wet all the time, and as long as the orchid looks like it isn't going into dormancy ------ then just keep looking after it as usual.
Hi!

That's the thing! I haven't noticed any growth for the last few weeks. Some bottom leaves dropped a while back so I initially thought it was going into dormancy but it hasn't done anything since sadly. The sheath bits are also starting to split!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I agree, just keep on doing what you are doing with regard to water (none). It may or may not lose all its leaves, but just ignore it until the new growth is well on its way (like 8-10 cm!) As for medium, how big is it? When these are in rapid growth, they need to be quite wet - so a small plant (2 or 3 pseudobulbs) will be easier to keep that way in sphagnum. I go for bark (small) only on the larger plants where it would take too much sphagnum. And don't worry about roots... Last year's roots are still functional, any older than that are dead. It is the new roots with the new growth that will really sustain the plant. Catasetinae basically re-invent themselves every year.
I see, that's great to hear then!

The medium I used was the 3 to 8mm Bio Leaf Premium Orchid Potting Mix from the same people who make Kiwi Bark.

I guess I'll repot it once the new growth kicks in with some sphagnum and perlite! Is it possible for new growths to kick in from the older pseuldobulb?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2021, 06:37 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 7,838
Fredclarkeara after dark dormancy and growth issues Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leareu View Post
Hi!


I see, that's great to hear then!

The medium I used was the 3 to 8mm Bio Leaf Premium Orchid Potting Mix from the same people who make Kiwi Bark.

I guess I'll repot it once the new growth kicks in with some sphagnum and perlite! Is it possible for new growths to kick in from the older pseuldobulb?

Thanks!
The time to repot, actually, is now or fairly soon - you want to get it done BEFORE the new growth and new roots. And the plant will grow roots before growth, so you want it in its new home before that. New growth will come from the base of the old pseudobulbs. (Occasionally you can also get growths on the side of a pseudobulb, but the main ones are from the base) It's too soon yet to think about it... You are still in winter. In a month or two you'll start to see the new growth. Don't start watering, though, until those new growths (and new roots) get to that 8-10 cm range. It is really tempting to water as soon as you see it... don't. Put your hands in your pockets so that you can't reach for the watering can. There are lots of notes within this Catasetum sub-forum on the subject. (Most of the notes are from people in the northern hemisphere, so add or subtract 6 months accordingly... it's the seasons that govern the process)

It does look, from your photo, like you got a somewhat out-of-season growth. If your weather is warm you could give it a little bit of water around the edges of the pot, especially if you see any sign of shriveling of pseudobulbs. But not much... it's still early.

You actually could dispense with the repot... once you get active growth, you could just sit the pot in a dish with some water in it. The whole concept is, when in active growth it needs lots of water and fertilizer (I use some time-release fertilizer in the pot for an extra boost) There is certainly more than one way to accomplish that.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

See what orchid species are blooming in Southern California(New page for October 2021)

Last edited by Roberta; 08-12-2021 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2021, 05:19 PM
Leareu Leareu is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 11
Fredclarkeara after dark dormancy and growth issues Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
-snip-
Okay! Yeah I got it in the middle of autumn here, I'll keep my hands to myself and try not to water, It'll be a challenge of self-control! I'll be sure to have a look through the subforum!

I think I might just repot it into sphagnum hehe, better to be on the safe side

Thank you so much for the help!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
beneath, bit, dormancy, growth, media


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catasetum new growth issues Maxx Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 14 05-10-2021 01:09 PM
Fredclarkeara After Dark repotting / dormancy Maxx Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 20 11-29-2020 11:51 AM
New Cycnoches Advice Clawhammer Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 26 04-01-2020 02:02 PM
FDK After Dark SVO Black Pearl: Problematic Purchase Aedrich Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 5 01-01-2019 08:20 AM
Fredclarkeara After Dark 'sunset valley' orchidsarefun Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance 16 02-28-2015 07:06 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.