Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 09-09-2021, 03:30 PM
desirue desirue is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 106
Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait Female
Default Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait

Hi everybody! I'm a newbie here and am excited to be a part of this community! I'm also a fairly new orchid owner. I got my first orchid this past January from Trader Joes. I've grown quite attached to her over the past nine months and have recently become interested in learning more about orchid care and orchids in general.

My orchid has not been repotted. I know it needs to be. What I'm struggling with and what I'm hoping you guys can help me with ... is whether right now is a good time to do it. She is sprouting new leaves at the base (is this a basal keiki or just new leaves?) In addition to the leaf growths, my orchid is also sprouting a new flower spike.

Would it be wise to repot right now? Or should I wait? I've already ordered a carousel pot and new medium from repotme that scheduled to be here in a few days.

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait-lqjusg1ar4m71-jpg   Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait-3om44wz9r4m71-jpg   Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait-nz7v411ar4m71-jpg   Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait-w13qba0ar4m71-jpg   Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait-yc981b0ar4m71-jpg  

Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait-zvv3u00ar4m71-jpg  
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes SADE2020 liked this post
  #2  
Old 09-09-2021, 04:34 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 13,836
Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait Male
Default

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

It looks good. You've been taking excellent care of it.

Many Phals produce growths from the base, as your is.

I think the medium looks good enough, and the roots healthy enough, for you to delay repotting for a while. I suggest you do some reading here before repotting. Start in the Beginners forum. Look near the top of the page for a sticky thread The Phal abuse stops here.
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood

Last edited by estación seca; 09-10-2021 at 02:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2021, 04:46 PM
Shadeflower's Avatar
Shadeflower Shadeflower is online now
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 843
Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait
Default

It could go another 6 months but it is also ready to be repotted now. I usually decide to do it, then leave it for 3 months till I've left it far too late and it needs to get done. With phals the time doesn't seem to matter too much.

Soak the whole pot in warm water for 30 mins first, then gently pull it out without ripping any roots but it looks like a failry compact ball so shouldn't be a problem.

Then with a shower head rinse the old media out of the center of the roots and gently use your fingers to pull it all out.

Fill the center with fresh media, plop it in the new pot and fill it up.

Generally any bad roots should be removed, I don't see any but if there are any flimsy degraded roots in the center remove them. This should be a failry easy repot.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2021, 01:11 AM
K-Sci's Avatar
K-Sci K-Sci is offline
Senior Member
Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Zone: 8a
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 392
Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait Male
Default

Welcome!

I agree with estación seca. The media doesn't look to be terribly old, the root system is in absolutely beautiful condition, and the plant has branched and is re-spiking. Assuming there isn't a reason or concern that suggests that this plant needs repotting, I would wait? It's doing beautifully.

That said, if you really want to repot now, it may reduce the flower count some, but it isn't likely to seriously set back or kill your plant. Edit: Just be careful not make the mistake of loving your orchid to death. I've done it, and I'd bet most others here have also.

-Keith
__________________
---------------------------------------------
The harder you work, the luckier you get.

Last edited by K-Sci; 09-10-2021 at 01:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2021, 11:46 AM
desirue desirue is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 106
Need help with deciding whether to repot now or wait Female
Default

Thank you everyone for your replies, it is much appreciated! I think I will hold off on repotting her for now ... just last night I noticed she is sprouting yet another flower stem from a different node.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
leaves, orchid, past, repot, sprouting


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I be patient or repot again? mook1178 Beginner Discussion 8 12-29-2018 08:58 PM
Wait on fertilizer after repot cluelessmidwesterner Potting & Repotting 8 12-19-2018 05:11 PM
When to repot Cattleya? butterfly_muse Beginner Discussion 6 07-15-2013 10:44 PM
Not sure if I should repot my orchid ? HELP PetitPrince Beginner Discussion 12 12-24-2010 12:27 PM
To repot or not to repot gerneveyn Beginner Discussion 6 12-29-2006 11:38 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.