New to cattleyas: what is this?
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

New to cattleyas: what is this?
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 08-26-2021, 03:36 PM
OrcishOrchids's Avatar
OrcishOrchids OrcishOrchids is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2019
Zone: 8a
Location: North Texas
Posts: 56
New to cattleyas: what is this? Female
Question New to cattleyas: what is this?

This is my bc Glorious May, I've bought this little seedling about four months ago from my local Lowes. The latest growth is 100% my fault as it grew completely in my conditions, so I'm trying to figure out what's up with it. The growths prior all had two leaves, and this one only has one good leaf and one weird stub. If the plant wasn't so small I'd think it was a flower sheath, but this is a bag baby and theoretically shouldn't bloom for years? I grow indoors at a large window, supplemented by an LED shop light.
It's been growing well until now, lots of roots and rapid growth, so what's going on?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2021, 03:56 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
New to cattleyas: what is this?
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 13,839
New to cattleyas: what is this? Male
Default

That's a sheath. There is a chance it won't flower, but I think it will. Good growing!
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2021, 03:57 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 4,844
Default

Seedlings can develop sheaths as well. And the sheaths of seedlings can be much smaller in size when compared with orchids at later stages. The sheaths of seedlings generally don't produce flower spikes (ie. no buds etc).

But ----- whether the one you have now will produce flower buds or not is hard to say at the moment -- because it's hard to estimate actual dimensions of the bulb from looking at this pic here.

If that bulb has a size that is roughly the size of a bulb that has a good chance of producing flower buds, then it's possible that the sheath could later develop flower buds. One nice approach is to only focus on the chance of flowering when a spike has not only formed ------ but also when the buds have developed to a large enough size ----- that would provide a high probability of seeing flowers.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Shadeflower liked this post
  #4  
Old 08-26-2021, 04:14 PM
OrcishOrchids's Avatar
OrcishOrchids OrcishOrchids is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2019
Zone: 8a
Location: North Texas
Posts: 56
New to cattleyas: what is this? Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
Seedlings can develop sheaths as well. And the sheaths of seedlings can be much smaller in size when compared with orchids at later stages. The sheaths of seedlings generally don't produce flower spikes (ie. no buds etc).

But ----- whether the one you have now will produce flower buds or not is hard to say at the moment -- because it's hard to estimate actual dimensions of the bulb from looking at this pic here.

If that bulb has a size that is roughly the size of a bulb that has a good chance of producing flower buds, then it's possible that the sheath could later develop flower buds. One nice approach is to only focus on the chance of flowering when a spike has not only formed ------ but also when the buds have developed to a large enough size ----- that would provide a high probability of seeing flowers.
I have never seen an adult plant, so I'm not sure what the pseudobulb proportion would be compared to my plant, I have no gauge for when it will be big enough. I'm happy so long as it keeps growing, I bought it small to enjoy growing it, I wasn't looking for flowers anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-26-2021, 08:12 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 8,097
New to cattleyas: what is this? Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcishOrchids View Post
I have never seen an adult plant, so I'm not sure what the pseudobulb proportion would be compared to my plant, I have no gauge for when it will be big enough. I'm happy so long as it keeps growing, I bought it small to enjoy growing it, I wasn't looking for flowers anytime soon.
Flowers are ALWAYS good! And it is very possible that it will bloom on a relatively small plant - I looked up the parentage of Bc Glorious May, and several of its ancestors are relatively small plants - in fact, it's 1/4 large plant (C. purpurata) and 3/4 several small/medium species. So the odds are quite good for a bloom! No certainty... sometimes Catts do put up empty sheaths. But there is a good chance here.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

See what orchid species are blooming in Southern California(New page for November 2021)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-26-2021, 09:18 PM
Steve83 Steve83 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 133
New to cattleyas: what is this? Male
Default

Looks great, keep doing what you've been doing. Keep this thread updated with the bloom.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-2021, 04:07 PM
OrcishOrchids's Avatar
OrcishOrchids OrcishOrchids is offline
Member
 

Join Date: May 2019
Zone: 8a
Location: North Texas
Posts: 56
New to cattleyas: what is this? Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Looks great, keep doing what you've been doing. Keep this thread updated with the bloom.
if it does it will be my first ever cattleya bloom, so you guys will definitely see it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bloom, flower, grow, growth, sheath


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EC (electrical conductivity) values for Cattleyas? fswechsler Cattleya Alliance 3 07-16-2017 10:23 PM
Light green leaves for cattleyas ttn Beginner Discussion 1 10-13-2015 12:01 AM
Must Haves: Classic Cattleyas MrHungx Beginner Discussion 3 06-01-2015 08:37 AM
New to the board, need advice on miniature and compact cattleyas SoCalOrchidGirl Beginner Discussion 6 06-10-2014 09:44 AM
watering cattleyas iamppdoc Beginner Discussion 8 10-09-2012 02:10 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.