Shall I repot it now?
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Shall I repot it now?
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 04-15-2021, 10:09 PM
wenshen wenshen is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 5
Shall I repot it now?
Default Shall I repot it now?

I received a Phal Tying Shin Fly Eagle today. It came with a flower spike. Shall I repot it as soon as possible or wait till the blooming is over?

One month ago, I bought a Violacea var Indigo, it was in same situation. I repotted in one week after I got it but the flower spike is turning yellow I think I am not going to see the flower very soon😭

The first picture is Tying Shin Fly Eagle I got today. Second picture is the Violacea var. Indigo which is losing the spike. The third picture is a Phal KS Super Zebra which I got and repotted at the same time as the Violecea. That one grows two spikes quickly after I repotted it. Hope I will not lose them.
Attached Thumbnails
Shall I repot it now?-0018d903-72ab-4198-a525-b35ee4d7e871-jpg   Shall I repot it now?-d8fffdaf-c830-4a4a-9882-a74973c1cf21-jpg   Shall I repot it now?-248e1a79-cf6b-40c8-a928-64cecb6c59d8-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2021, 10:20 PM
wenshen wenshen is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 5
Shall I repot it now?
Default

I just noticed that the stem in the 3rd picture is yellow. What could be wrong? It's in S/H, still could be overwatered?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2021, 11:24 PM
fishmom's Avatar
fishmom fishmom is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Zone: 9b
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 1,658
Default

It looks like you have changed the planting medium from moss (or bark?) to S/H. That is a bit of a shock for the plant. The next spikes that you get will be from a plant that is adjusted to S/H and will be more likely to mature. Actually, the spike on the Super Zebra still looks pretty green to me, more like the yellow is just from high light. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2021, 11:40 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
Shall I repot it now?
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 13,854
Shall I repot it now? Male
Default

If you are going to repot from moss into S/H, realize the plant's old moss-adapted roots may not adapt well. This might lead to spike loss. It might be necessary for the plant to grow new roots before it spikes again.

However - I have repotted Phals in spike into S/H, and they didn't lose the spikes. I think your best chance of success is if you water them frequently after moving from moss to S/H. This would depend on the humidity and temperatures in your growing area, but you could water every 1-2 days without harming the plant.
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2021, 12:59 AM
wenshen wenshen is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 5
Shall I repot it now?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmom View Post
Actually, the spike on the Super Zebra still looks pretty green to me, more like the yellow is just from high light. Good luck!
Yes the spikes are green. I will move Super Zebra away from the window and keep close eye on it. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by estación seca View Post
If you are going to repot from moss into S/H, realize the plant's old moss-adapted roots may not adapt well. This might lead to spike loss. It might be necessary for the plant to grow new roots before it spikes again.

However - I have repotted Phals in spike into S/H, and they didn't lose the spikes. I think your best chance of success is if you water them frequently after moving from moss to S/H. This would depend on the humidity and temperatures in your growing area, but you could water every 1-2 days without harming the plant.
What if I replace with half new moss and half LECA? will it be less stressful? The place I live is very dry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
flower, picture, repot, repotted, spike


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maxillaria Tenuiflora x Variabilis should I repot or leave it? Orchid-Obsessed Maxillaria Alliance 9 08-22-2020 03:22 AM
Should I repot or not repot these cattleyas at this time BrassavolaStars Beginner Discussion 7 10-22-2019 03:27 AM
Damaged Psychopsis (Mendenhall 'Hildos'- Repot Question BAK15 Beginner Discussion 4 05-17-2015 10:08 PM
to repot or to not repot? dendrobiums and laelia stefpix Beginner Discussion 3 10-03-2009 11:48 PM
To repot or not to repot gerneveyn Beginner Discussion 6 12-29-2006 11:38 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.