Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.


Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 07-30-2020, 09:06 AM
townlakelady townlakelady is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6
Default Itís growing leaves but dropping blooms!

Hi! First time poster here and first time everything when it comes to orchids. My boyfriend bought me a beautiful orchid for Valentineís Day and Iíve been working diligently to keep it alive and happy, following all the advice Iíve read on this forum including using a diluted 20-20-20 fertilizer. It held on to its blooms until just recently (late July) when it started to drop the blooms one by one. The weird thing is that at the same time it started growing a brand new leaf! I am assuming the plant is just going dormant but the leaf growing has me scratching my head. Any ideas as to what is going on? Should I just keep watering it? Should I try a different fertilizer? Iím totally fine with it just going dormant but just donít know if something else is going on I should pay attention to. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
-b7aa2e98-64eb-46fc-95a6-cd3f178eb890-jpg   -c26d35a8-0ace-438d-8bcc-2d4bb43c8710-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-30-2020, 09:53 AM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 5,205
Default

TLL --- do you mean that the orchid had flowers that were open, and those flowers had been open for a long time, such as for many weeks? And then the flowers recently dropped off?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 14,130
Male
Default

If the thing was in-bloom when you got it, or even just about to, the loss of flowers at this point is perfectly normal.

Phalaenopsis may-, or may not take a rest after blooming, so new growth is a good thing.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
FIRSTRAYS.COM
Try Kelpak - you won't be sorry!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2020, 04:18 PM
JScott JScott is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 1,140
Default

Phals have no dormancy period. Your flowers fell off because they were old and it was time. From February to July is an exceptionally long time for flowers to last, even Phalaenopsis, which tend to be some of the longest lasting flowers. There's nothing unusual about your plant growing a new leaf now. They grow new leaves almost constantly. There might be a short break after one leaf matures but before another one starts, but this is not a dormancy period. Plhals can grow leaves at any stage in their growth cycle. Your leant is healthy and happy and you have nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

And that spike looks pretty brown and dead. It won't be growing anymore flowers. The plant will look nicer if you cut off the brown spike. It isn't super important how close to the plant you cut it. I usually cut dead spikes about a half inch from where they connect to the plant, but it really isn't important. That's just how I do it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2020, 06:14 PM
Paphluvr's Avatar
Paphluvr Paphluvr is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Zone: 5a
Location: Base of the "Thumb", MI, USA
Posts: 1,380
Male
Default

The other part of your question that hasn't been answered is, yes, continue to water and fertilize it as you have been.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-30-2020, 07:40 PM
estaciůn seca's Avatar
estaciůn seca estaciůn seca is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 16,239
Male
Default

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

In general Phals like to be warm, shaded, moist and have lots of air at the roots. There is an excellent thread here on Orchid Board that teaches how to care for them. From the left yellow menu choose Forums, then Beginners, then look near the top for the sticky thread The Phal abuse stops here.
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-30-2020, 08:00 PM
townlakelady townlakelady is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
TLL --- do you mean that the orchid had flowers that were open, and those flowers had been open for a long time, such as for many weeks? And then the flowers recently dropped off?
Yes!!! It was in full bloom with like 6 flowers on it, then there were 2 other buds that opened into full flowers. This was mid-Feb. Since then they have all been going strong and then about a week and a half ago (mid-July) they started shriveling up and dropping one by one. And halfway through that dropping period is when I noticed it started growing a new leaf!

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Ok this is great! I will continue to just water it and feed it and wait for it to bloom again. And on the spike, itís actually green and soft and bendy. You might be seeing the decorative brown branches which were inexplicably placed in the arrangement, I assume for decorative purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
Phals have no dormancy period. Your flowers fell off because they were old and it was time. From February to July is an exceptionally long time for flowers to last, even Phalaenopsis, which tend to be some of the longest lasting flowers. There's nothing unusual about your plant growing a new leaf now. They grow new leaves almost constantly. There might be a short break after one leaf matures but before another one starts, but this is not a dormancy period. Plhals can grow leaves at any stage in their growth cycle. Your leant is healthy and happy and you have nothing to worry about.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

And that spike looks pretty brown and dead. It won't be growing anymore flowers. The plant will look nicer if you cut off the brown spike. It isn't super important how close to the plant you cut it. I usually cut dead spikes about a half inch from where they connect to the plant, but it really isn't important. That's just how I do it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is online now
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 10,546
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by townlakelady View Post
Yes!!! It was in full bloom with like 6 flowers on it, then there were 2 other buds that opened into full flowers. This was mid-Feb. Since then they have all been going strong and then about a week and a half ago (mid-July) they started shriveling up and dropping one by one. And halfway through that dropping period is when I noticed it started growing a new leaf!
Just force of nature. The new leaf is an excellent sign.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

See what orchid species are blooming in Southern California(New page for February 2023)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2020, 08:03 PM
townlakelady townlakelady is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6
Default

10-4! Iíve read enough on this forum to know I need to keep watering and feeding it 😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paphluvr View Post
The other part of your question that hasn't been answered is, yes, continue to water and fertilize it as you have been.


---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Phew! Iíll report back if anything changes. Wow, everyone on this forum is so helpful and responsive! Thank you all!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
Just force of nature. The new leaf is an excellent sign.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blooms, fertilizer, growing, iíve, time


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
aussie dendrobium dropping leaves :( neophyte Pests & Diseases 7 07-25-2019 05:21 AM
Phal growing two leaves at once Asca Beginner Discussion 2 05-20-2019 04:01 AM
Vanda dropping leaves, can this be saved? captainbug Vanda Alliance - others 22 12-14-2018 12:40 AM
Dying dendrobrium? Leaves yellowing and dropping. Tpa Bay Beginner Discussion 9 05-06-2016 03:24 PM
Phal + Leaves + Problem + Blooms + Semi-Hydro empiref Hybrids 7 08-12-2013 07:45 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.