Impact of Air Conditioning Growing Indoors
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Impact of Air Conditioning Growing Indoors
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #21  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:35 PM
quiltergal quiltergal is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Zone: 8b
Location: Southern Oregon
Age: 66
Posts: 6,016
Default

My RH is so low year round the orchids don't even notice when the AC is running. I look at it as the lesser of two evils. With 100+ degree days here often during the summer the orchids would cook without running the AC.........and so would I!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes JMNYC liked this post
  #22  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM
JMNYC JMNYC is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 519
Impact of Air Conditioning Growing Indoors
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltergal View Post
My RH is so low year round the orchids don't even notice when the AC is running. I look at it as the lesser of two evils. With 100+ degree days here often during the summer the orchids would cook without running the AC.........and so would I!
Yes, that is EXACTLY what this is: the lesser of two evils ongoing!

Goal is to preclude cooking any living being not mean to be cooked when already not living!!!!

Last edited by JMNYC; 07-04-2014 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Dante1709 Dante1709 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Zone: 6b
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 126
Impact of Air Conditioning Growing Indoors Male
Default

I was checking out some humidifiers, when I found this

It's energy efficient, compact, silent and affordable. There are even attachments to turn it into a plant stand. I haven't tried it, but it sounds as if it would be good to raise the humidity up enough during the winter. The only problem is that my vents are on the ceiling, above the orchids.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
JMNYC JMNYC is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 519
Impact of Air Conditioning Growing Indoors
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante1709 View Post
I was checking out some humidifiers, when I found this

It's energy efficient, compact, silent and affordable. There are even attachments to turn it into a plant stand. I haven't tried it, but it sounds as if it would be good to raise the humidity up enough during the winter. The only problem is that my vents are on the ceiling, above the orchids.
Hey.
Somewhere here, I recently put up a voluminous account of how I maintain optimal humidity in fall & winter.

Some of it, tho hardly all, owes to all the giant houseplants I grow in both my growing areas; the orchids grow in the midst of these.

Remember, in nature, orchids also grow among giant foliage (and some flowering and fruiting) plants, trees....all expiring humidity. I see it as nature's perfectly evolved, humbling technology.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Dante1709 Dante1709 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Zone: 6b
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 126
Impact of Air Conditioning Growing Indoors Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMNYC View Post
Hey.
Somewhere here, I recently put up a voluminous account of how I maintain optimal humidity in fall & winter.

Some of it, tho hardly all, owes to all the giant houseplants I grow in both my growing areas; the orchids grow in the midst of these.

Remember, in nature, orchids also grow among giant foliage (and some flowering and fruiting) plants, trees....all expiring humidity. I see it as nature's perfectly evolved, humbling technology.
I do recall you mentioning this, but thought it was useful for others to know about the product I mentioned as well, in order for others to explore their options when it comes to humidity.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes JMNYC liked this post
  #26  
Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM
JMNYC JMNYC is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 519
Impact of Air Conditioning Growing Indoors
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante1709 View Post
I do recall you mentioning this, but thought it was useful for others to know about the product I mentioned as well, in order for others to explore their options when it comes to humidity.
Absolutely! We are each unique, our growing conditions as well and everything related. Always good to share all the info so that individuals can come to their own differential choices and strategies.

My way in all things, is to observe/discern all that is there, and invent ways of exploiting all of it, i.e, in my case, the heat our built in broad, radiator tops give off all winter.

Anytime I can avoid employing yet another device needing power.....I am happy.

But, not everyone can avoid that.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Just made note, while it is hot today, I am perfectly able to work comfortably on deadline sitting here with only a tiny fan. I then went to my weather site and realized the humidity is relatively low:


Mon
4pm 5pm 6pm 7pm 8pm 9pm 10pm 11pm
4pm 5pm 6pm 7pm 8pm 9pm 10pm 11pm
Forecast

Temp (°F) 88° 88° 87° 86° 84° 82° 82° 81°
RealFeelŪ 92° 88° 86° 84° 82° 80° 80° 80°
Humidity 48%

Fine for me, perfect for all my plants! For me, it is only when the humidity in summer soars that I really need to turn on the A/C.

Wish it would be like this all summer!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-05-2021, 02:36 PM
Ireyene's Avatar
Ireyene Ireyene is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: California Los Angeles
Posts: 6
Impact of Air Conditioning Growing Indoors Female
Default

Indeed very useful information. I just needed it. The other day my AC broke down and I really don't have time to figure out how to fix it. At first, I thought of doing everything myself to save money, but then I realized that it is complicated and I better turn to specialists who know how to do everything qualitatively. I called the aircon servicing and tomorrow morning I am waiting for the master.

Last edited by Ireyene; 01-09-2021 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growing Paph micranthum? Orchidreamer Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum 5 11-03-2016 03:45 PM
How sick can orchid growing make us? Tropic Advanced Discussion 30 10-05-2013 04:03 PM
Zeer pot and growing Cyp hybrids Linus_Cello Cypripedium Alliance - others 3 08-17-2011 06:01 PM
Cool growing species rescue : temperatures ? s.kallima Beginner Discussion 5 11-05-2008 12:40 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.