Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Bird'
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Bird'
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 PM
MattWoelfsen MattWoelfsen is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Zone: 5a
Member of:TROS, AOS, FSA
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 2,727
Default Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Bird'

This plant came from Hausermann Orchids, Villa Park, Illinois. If I didn't know better, when I unwrapped it from its shipment, it looked like an overgrown Neofinetia. Two weeks ago, it started producing two little buds. The left side of the bud, took off and now it is this size, the flower buds look like Neofinetia. The right side bud, I'm hoping will continue to develop.



So that you have any idea of how big this plant is, here is a picture of my Neofinetia falcata Hisui 翡翠 "Jade". If I did not have the Neostylis in comparison to Hsui, I would say, the Hsui was a large plant.



Looking on with much stoicism are the flowers of my NOID Phalaenopsis. These flowers are on a weird stem that grew from beneath the plant, worked its way around the plant stem. These flowers bloomed out in May! It has also grown a huge amount of roots and two very large leaves.


Last edited by MattWoelfsen; 09-15-2013 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 7 Likes
  #2  
Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Bud's Avatar
Bud Bud is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Zone: 7b
Location: Manhattan, NY
Age: 38
Posts: 8,409
Default

How exciting it must be for you to have two spikes! Corn flower blue fragrant flowers.... I have that exact Vandacious orchid also in spike and will be posting soon....
It does have a semi spur because of the parent.
*what happened to your Phalaenopsis=it didn't grow a longer spike?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 PM
MattWoelfsen MattWoelfsen is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Zone: 5a
Member of:TROS, AOS, FSA
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 2,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
How exciting it must be for you to have two spikes! Corn flower blue fragrant flowers.... I have that exact Vandacious orchid also in spike and will be posting soon....
It does have a semi spur because of the parent.
*what happened to your Phalaenopsis=it didn't grow a longer spike?
It is exciting Bud, please post your plant's bloom. You say it is fragrant? Even better!

Regarding the strange Phalaenopsis flower spike--which I kind of like, since these flowers hide the ugly roots and planting media--this is as long and as tall as the spike got. I keep waiting for the flowers to drop, but they stay as fibrant and colorful as the day they opened several months ago. Watch, now that I'm bragging about this plant, the flowers will probably drop!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Bud's Avatar
Bud Bud is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Zone: 7b
Location: Manhattan, NY
Age: 38
Posts: 8,409
Default

nope, since the spike is short=it gets sustenance quicker than a one foot spike....small wonder it stayed fresh for a long time....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Joyorchid Joyorchid is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2013
Zone: 5b
Location: Boulder Colorado
Posts: 548
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Bird'
Default

Ooooooo... Congrats, Matt! And I have the Sky King version of this orchid. They are overgrown neos! Mine has more fans than I can count. Post pics when it flowers.

Anyone know if these neostylis require a winter rest like regular neos?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Pilot Pilot is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Zone: 5b
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,615
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Bird' Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyorchid View Post
Ooooooo... Congrats, Matt! And I have the Sky King version of this orchid. They are overgrown neos! Mine has more fans than I can count. Post pics when it flowers.

Anyone know if these neostylis require a winter rest like regular neos?
I've never given mine true neo winter rest and they still bloom. I think the natural ebb and flow of our seasons will do the trick.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 AM
jeremiah.chua jeremiah.chua is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco / San Jose
Posts: 187
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Bird' Male
Default

I love this one! I have one I got earlier this year, in Spring. It has a wonderful fragrance, smells like clean laundry. Love, love, love it! Can't wait till it blooms for you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:27 AM
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2010
Zone: 7b
Member of:AOS, FSoA
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah.chua View Post
I love this one! I have one I got earlier this year, in Spring. It has a wonderful fragrance, smells like clean laundry. Love, love, love it! Can't wait till it blooms for you.
Me too! I bought mine in bloom from Waldor Orchids at the SEPOS show the same day I bought my first 3 Neos from SE. I had 2 reasons for getting it: I'd read repeatedly on teh intarwebs what a great scent it has, specifically regarding the 'Blue Bird' cultivar, and the blooms served as a sort of sneak preview of my Neo blooms.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 AM
jeremiah.chua jeremiah.chua is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco / San Jose
Posts: 187
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Bird' Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Me too! I bought mine in bloom from Waldor Orchids at the SEPOS show the same day I bought my first 3 Neos from SE. I had 2 reasons for getting it: I'd read repeatedly on teh intarwebs what a great scent it has, specifically regarding the 'Blue Bird' cultivar, and the blooms served as a sort of sneak preview of my Neo blooms.
Flowers look the same (with color though, of course) but the scent is different. I'm kinda in favor with Neostylis more than Neo's fragrance. Am I allowed to say that without being stoned to death here? Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:48 AM
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2010
Zone: 7b
Member of:AOS, FSoA
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah.chua View Post
Flowers look the same (with color though, of course) but the scent is different. I'm kinda in favor with Neostylis more than Neo's fragrance. Am I allowed to say that without being stoned to death here? Haha.
Sure you can say that. Truth be told, Phalaenopsis Princess Kaiulani beats them both scent-wise. I had one of those with a single bloom open and I could smell it all the way across my apartment as soon as I came in the door.

Hmmm, my spell checker wasn't amused though. It offered encephalitis as a spelling correction for Phalaenopsis.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bud, buds, flowers, neofinetia, plant, bird, blue, sneary, lou, neostylis


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caring for Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Bird' peeweelovesbooks Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 19 03-23-2015 01:57 PM
purplish leaves on Lou Sneary Blue Bird orchids44 Advanced Discussion 9 07-19-2013 11:21 PM
Blue Bird? jrodpad Identification Forum 9 11-21-2011 12:59 AM
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Blue Moon' ...help please Swamper Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 28 01-16-2009 07:41 PM
Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Colorful Blue', Gin Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 13 01-26-2008 11:49 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.