Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.


Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
Register Members O.C.D. Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > ORCHID ALLIANCES > Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia
Like Tree19Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Call_Me_Bob's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Default Neofinetia falcata 'Suruga Fukurin'-Large variegated specimen

Checkout this amazing specimen of 'Suruga Fukurin' it's got GREAT variegation because it's grown in high light. This belongs to Stephen Male of Fishing Creek orchids, it's one of the few Fukiran he grows. I was lucky enough to get a small one-fan piece of this that fell of, I love working for a boss who is generous with his plants!! If you look closely, you can see a ghost growth.


Commonwealth Foundation Headshot (8 of 11) by orchidman10, on Flickr


Commonwealth Foundation Headshot (9 of 11) by orchidman10, on Flickr


Commonwealth Foundation Headshot (10 of 11) by orchidman10, on Flickr

Checkout this mutation! Suruga Fukurin is a marginal variegation and on this small fan the variegation is reversed. Anyone know what this is called?!


Suruga Fukurin (4 of 5) by orchidman10, on Flickr
__________________
-Quay
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Jayfar's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2010
Zone: 7b
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 1,010
Default

Wow! The variegation is outstanding. That's a really great specimen and excellent photography too! Be on your guard against elite Ninjas bursting in and spiriting it away.

You said it's grown in high light. Is that just near full Sun in the greenhouse or does it have supplemental lighting applied?

Just a heads up you have at least a couple of the Suruga shots mislabeled on your flickr as something completely unrelated to plants.
Call_Me_Bob and Island Girl like this.
__________________
Cheers,
Jayfar

Last edited by Jayfar; 08-18-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Call_Me_Bob's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Wow! The variegation is outstanding. That's a really great specimen and excellent photography too! Be on your guard against elite Ninjas bursting in and spiriting it away.

You said it's grown in high light. Is that just near full Sun in the greenhouse or does it have supplemental lighting applied?

Just a heads up you have at least a couple of the Suruga shots mislabeled on your flickr as something completely unrelated to plants.
Oh trust me, we have top notch security at the greenhouse! Ninja proof locks and a guard dog that missed nothing!

Thanks for the comments on my photography You should've seen my makeshift studio in the greenhouse!

As far as the labelling goes on my Flickr, yeah I exported them out of lightroom under the wrong name, I know what it is though, so I don't mind

Near full sun. The greenhouse has a very light shade cloth covering it and this is hung above one of the benches.
Island Girl likes this.
__________________
-Quay
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Zone: 10b
Member of:AOS, FLOS
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Age: 33
Posts: 140
Male
Default

That third photo is great, but they all are very good.

I'm going to ask Chieko about the variegation when she gets back to MA, she will know. I have a higashide miyako that I got from her that did the same thing. I've tried to hunt down the information myself, but all I was able to find was that it happens when you grow the variegated ones in high light, and is only a temporary change unless the fourth leaf shows the reverse variegation as well. Mine is up to the fourth leaf...and it is somewhere in between since the reversion to the original pattern failed, but it's a very confused plant since it is basically an unorganized confusion of the cream and green.
Call_Me_Bob likes this.

Last edited by ovanoshio; 09-01-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Call_Me_Bob's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovanoshio View Post
That third photo is great, but they all are very good.

I'm going to ask Chieko about the variegation when she gets back to MA, she will know. I have a higashide miyako that I got from her that did the same thing. I've tried to hunt down the information myself, but all I was able to find was that it happens when you grow the variegated ones in high light, and is only a temporary change unless the fourth leaf shows the reverse variegation as well. Mine is up to the fourth leaf...and it is somewhere in between since the reversion to the original pattern failed, but it's a very confused plant since it is basically an unorganized confusion of the cream and green.
Great information, thanks! I don't know if this is past the fourth leaf or not I'll have to check next time I'm in the greenhouse. I know that because it's grown in such high light, there are lots of ghost growths which traditionally are not desired, but think they're cool!
__________________
-Quay
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:28 AM
rangiku's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Zone: 6a
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 877
Female
Default

This is a great plant, ototo-kun, what are your secrets? I have a several growth plant that just sits there not growing any new fans. It doesn't strike me as happy...:cries:
Call_Me_Bob likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Zone: 9b
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,502
Default

Nice batch of fans and blooms. Good growing!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Call_Me_Bob's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangiku View Post
This is a great plant, ototo-kun, what are your secrets? I have a several growth plant that just sits there not growing any new fans. It doesn't strike me as happy...:cries:
mt secret? let my boss grow it this one grows much like a vanda (guess it technically is now :P) but not as high lights. It jus sits in a clay pot and is hung over the cattleya bench
__________________
-Quay
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM
brn_thmbs's Avatar
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_Me_Bob View Post
It jus sits in a clay pot and is hung over the cattleya bench
Nice! I can't tell from the awesome photos what media you're growing it in. Can you share & thx again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Variegated Neofinetia (Fukurin) shakkai Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 27 10-18-2013 08:44 PM
Three Vanda (Neofinetia) Falcata Orchid Hybrids MattWoelfsen Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 10 07-19-2013 09:19 PM
Neofinetia falcata 'Asahiden' Bud Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 7 09-27-2012 01:50 PM
What is a Neofinetia falcata? Neofalcata Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 17 03-29-2008 11:13 AM
Neofinetia falcata 'Suruga Fukurin' *MINI* couscous74 Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia 7 11-09-2006 12:29 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com

Clubs, ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0