IKEA Socker Greenhouse
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

IKEA Socker Greenhouse
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #11  
Old 11-26-2019, 01:25 AM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,077
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
I think this is confusion about the term breezy...
I think you're onto something DC. I think the confusion is about 'completely enclosed'. After careful inspection of the image, the structure is not completely enclosed at all. And the confusion is also with the word 'gap'.


Last edited by SouthPark; 11-26-2019 at 01:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-26-2019, 01:32 AM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,077
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Male
Default

Looks like the issue is with the wording - as in 'gap' and 'enclosed'. The words 'gap' and 'enclosed' don't properly describe the situation here.

Instead - upon close inspection - the triangular regions are not fitted with glass panels. So it's basically an open triangular region front and rear.
Attached Thumbnails
IKEA Socker Greenhouse-structure-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-26-2019, 07:26 AM
DirtyCoconuts DirtyCoconuts is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2019
Zone: 10b
Location: South Florida, East Coast
Posts: 974
IKEA Socker Greenhouse
Default

Thatís the darn trouble with words....lol

Meaning things Hahahaha
__________________
Rooted in South Florida....

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-26-2019, 08:11 AM
mofms1 mofms1 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2019
Zone: 7b
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 48
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidking View Post
Lots of perlite is important mixed in to the media is a high humidity environment to help prevent rot and you should be fine.
Thanks for the link. I read over that thread and there was some interesting info there. I hadn't really thought too much about mounting the stuff I put in the greenhouse, it's small so I'd have to find something that fits. But I suppose if I was putting mini's in there I could go ahead and plant a couple on something laying sideways.

Right now for my potted orchids, I use bark mixture and the posts with the holes in the sides. I've never had a problem with root rot in those, but I could see how I'd have to be more careful in an enclosed space.

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
. I'd suggest experimenting with something not terribly expensive. When experimenting, remember that orchids do everything slowly... give it 6 months or so before drawing any conclusions.

Another thing to think about with such a small enclosure without ventilation - heat buildup. Even a little bit of direct sun can create an oven (think "greenhouse effect") Another reason to experiment with something inexpensive.
Definitely smarter to try with inexpensive first. Especially since I'm just now starting to work with different types of orchids. Now in the fall/winter it doesn't get any direct light because the greenhouse would be on the wall across from the window. I will keep an eye out for it in the spring/summer and move the greenhouse if it starts getting a lot of sun directly on it.

This is all in the planning stages for now so I think it may be spring/summer before I even get this thing going anyhow. I still have to make sure I don't kill the new babies that I got from the orchid show a few weeks ago.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
Looks like the issue is with the wording - as in 'gap' and 'enclosed'. The words 'gap' and 'enclosed' don't properly describe the situation here.

Instead - upon close inspection - the triangular regions are not fitted with glass panels. So it's basically an open triangular region front and rear.
the triangle areas have glass. The whole thing is glass, but it's not sealed air tight. I think I will see how it does with the top propped open, it's designed to be able to do that.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 AM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,077
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofms1 View Post
the triangle areas have glass. The whole thing is glass, but it's not sealed air tight. I think I will see how it does with the top propped open, it's designed to be able to do that.
Thanks for mentioning that the triangle area does have glass. This image here appears as if there were no glass - in the triangular area --- and even in the whole of the front area hahaha. Optical illusion maybe.

But in any case - they're demonstrating that some panels should be open for air circulation. Even the side panel is raised up a bit here - by sliding up and holding.
Attached Thumbnails
IKEA Socker Greenhouse-socker-greenhouse-white-jpg  

Last edited by SouthPark; 11-26-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-26-2019, 08:46 AM
rbarata rbarata is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Zone: 10a
Location: Abrantes
Posts: 3,882
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Male
Default

One question...do you need the greenhouse just because of the cats?
__________________
Meteo data at my city here.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-26-2019, 09:03 AM
mofms1 mofms1 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2019
Zone: 7b
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 48
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarata View Post
One question...do you need the greenhouse just because of the cats?
We already have the greenhouse, but don't use it much. The cats definitely play a factor though. Their eyes dilate and they go into hunter mode when they see leafy plants. I used to leave my spider plants where they could nosh on them (spider plants are non-toxic and fairly hardy). But I had to stop b/c they were chewing the plants to nubbins and killing them that way. I even tried to put a money tree out (also nontoxic) but the same thing happened; the cat went into hunter mode.

The only plants the cats don't seem interested in eating are my store-bought phals with the thick fleshy leaves.
I don't think the cats even see those as plants, probably b/c of the leaf shape.

So I'd like to have more orchids and I'd like to have them in a safe place, and since we already have the greenhouse I thought I'd give it a try.

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
Thanks for mentioning that the triangle area does have glass. This image here appears as if there were no glass - in the triangular area --- and even in the whole of the front area hahaha. Optical illusion maybe.

But in any case - they're demonstrating that some panels should be open for air circulation. Even the side panel is raised up a bit here - by sliding up and holding.
It's really hard to tell b/c they have perfectly clear glass in the pictures (it's a lot harder to keep perfectly clear at the house). What you're seeing in that picture is one of the top panels completely open and folded back onto the side. I probably wouldn't do that because of the cats, but I could if needed and they were put up in their room.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 10,998
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Male
Default

Just a comment on the need for fans in enclosed environments: (Here's that damned "words"" thing again...). There's "enclosed" and then there's "enclosed". My former plant incubator - 6'x3'x4' - was quite warm, had LEDs inside of it, and had automated watering and misting. A couple of muffin fans was essential.

I now have a mounted Phalaenopsis parishii in a glass cylindrical vase. Room temperature, saturated LECA on the bottom for humidity, and an external LED. The top is mostly closed with a piece of acrylic, save for a 1/4"x3" crescent-shaped opening. No fan necessary.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Want Better Plants? READ THIS
shop.firstrays.com

Free Shipping in the US! (see terms & conditions for details)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes DirtyCoconuts, Orchidking liked this post
  #19  
Old 11-26-2019, 09:26 AM
rbarata rbarata is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Zone: 10a
Location: Abrantes
Posts: 3,882
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofms1 View Post
We already have the greenhouse, but don't use it much. The cats definitely play a factor though. Their eyes dilate and they go into hunter mode when they see leafy plants. I used to leave my spider plants where they could nosh on them (spider plants are non-toxic and fairly hardy). But I had to stop b/c they were chewing the plants to nubbins and killing them that way. I even tried to put a money tree out (also nontoxic) but the same thing happened; the cat went into hunter mode.

The only plants the cats don't seem interested in eating are my store-bought phals with the thick fleshy leaves.
I don't think the cats even see those as plants, probably b/c of the leaf shape.

So I'd like to have more orchids and I'd like to have them in a safe place, and since we already have the greenhouse I thought I'd give it a try.
Have you considered another solution? We know how cats are maybe hang the plants.
__________________
Meteo data at my city here.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-26-2019, 12:00 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 3,751
IKEA Socker Greenhouse Female
Default

For what it's worth, I had a very elderly cat that didn't jump up on things much, but he made an exception for leaves that flop... Cymbidiums were particularly attractive. I think that any of the Oncidium group are also vulnerable. (I am sure they can see the slightest motion) Cattleya-types, with stiff, upright leaves were not attractive at all. So that's another consideration in choice of orchids that need to coexist with felines.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids

What's blooming for Southern California Species hobbyists
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
day, greenhouse, ikea, light, plants


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building Our Own Greenhouse Staging RosieC Greenhouse Gardening 27 10-20-2017 02:32 PM
Greenhouse vs. the real world - how to prepare the chids? Silje Beginner Discussion 5 10-15-2013 08:13 PM
Help w/First Greenhouse please! GirlGoneWild Greenhouse Gardening 1 11-05-2012 08:47 PM
Gonmon's DIY Greenhouse Plans Gonmon Greenhouse Gardening 30 08-17-2012 09:47 PM
My New Greenhouse... step by step... kavanaru Greenhouse Gardening 48 11-19-2010 12:23 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.