Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Space age mounts.
Default Space age mounts.

OK, mounts can present a problem especially for larger orchids, and worst of all if they like their roots a bit moister like the sesequipedels seem to.

Branch mounts look great, but if you have a lot of orchids, then after you have pruned every decent branch off every tree in the area, what then?

Well, you can weld up a shallow basket with a hanger out of 6mm rebar like the one in the pic, but while the steel is pretty cheap, the welding and painting costs more than you would think, and takes forever. plus, in order to have it not rust away, that's two coats of hammerite, leave for two weeks to cure, two more coats, and then a curing period it takes a lot of time.

So, I have been thinking and I finally came up with an idea. I use sheets of mesh that are coated with plastic fr the roof of the greenhouse to hang the mounts from, and I suddenly thought about cutting the leftovers up and making mounts.
The steel is fairly thick wire, and it at the limit of bending, so you need to use wood jigs to bend them round, and not use steel tools as that would tear the plastic coat. When they are cut out, I take a grinder to the sharp ends. I do paint the ends, when it is all bent to shape, but I don't use a brush, just a teaspoon and dip the cut ends in so they get a bead on the ends that will seal the bare steel. That saves cleaning brushes.
Attached Thumbnails
Space age mounts.-hanging-mounts-2-jpg   Space age mounts.-green-mounts-1-jpg  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes estación seca liked this post
Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Space age mounts.

Once the basic shape is cut out, I bend it into shape and create the hooks. The tool to bend the short ends is a bit of dried orange wood, I use it a lot for tool handles. You drill a hole into the end and use that to apply force to the ends.

The sheets of mesh are reasonably priced, at 19 euros the sheet. You can make 36 small mounts, or 18 of the larger per sheet, which puts the price of those two shown at 50 cents and 1 euro max.

So, not too bad price wise.
Attached Thumbnails
Space age mounts.-green-mounts-2-jpg   Space age mounts.-green-mounts-3-jpg   Space age mounts.-green-mounts-7-jpg   Space age mounts.-green-mounts-6-jpg   Space age mounts.-green-mounts-5-jpg  

Space age mounts.-green-mounts-4-jpg  
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Likes
Likes Pattywack, estación seca, MN Tomato liked this post
Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 PM

This is awesome, and you can make them to fit the size of your available space as well as the size of your plant! Pretty ingenious, given the fact that your out of branches. They look nice and I'll bet they last for ages. Your branch mounts are very nice as well.

This reminds me of a project I had thought of trying with a plastic coated shower caddy. Our master bath is large with 4 windows, south and west exposure. The shower is very big and circular in a corner with glass blocks as the walls. I think a shower caddy hanging on the outside wall of the shower, facing the windows would be cool. Probably hold a few smaller orchids, and look nice. I must really be getting old, I had forgotten all about this idea until seeing your mounts! Thanks for sharing.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes bil, estación seca liked this post
Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM

Space age mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattywack View Post
This is awesome, and you can make them to fit the size of your available space as well as the size of your plant! Pretty ingenious, given the fact that your out of branches. They look nice and I'll bet they last for ages. Your branch mounts are very nice as well.

This reminds me of a project I had thought of trying with a plastic coated shower caddy. Our master bath is large with 4 windows, south and west exposure. The shower is very big and circular in a corner with glass blocks as the walls. I think a shower caddy hanging on the outside wall of the shower, facing the windows would be cool. Probably hold a few smaller orchids, and look nice. I must really be getting old, I had forgotten all about this idea until seeing your mounts! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. Needs must when the devil drives, and at least I now have a strategy in case those branch mounts don't have the staying power I need.

Why not try that caddy? It sounds like an interesting idea.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Zone: 7b
Space age mounts. Female

Bil strikes again. I wish you lived next door to me.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes bil liked this post