So many in spike  but where to find Stakes?
Login
User Name
Password   

Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Register So many in spike  but where to find Stakes? Members So many in spike  but where to find Stakes? So many in spike  but where to find Stakes? Today's PostsSo many in spike  but where to find Stakes? So many in spike  but where to find Stakes? So many in spike  but where to find Stakes?
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >

Old 12-21-2017, 05:20 PM

Zone: 5b
So many in spike  but where to find Stakes? Female
Default So many in spike but where to find Stakes?

Well I am very very happy that 21 out of my 26 phalaenopsis orchids are all in Spike. But I just realized that I only have about 14 Stakes to use & as many of my phalaenopsis are very small or miniature, I don't know where to get the ones that are like 4-5 in Long. I've never been in this situation before
Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 PM

You can use nearly anything to stake orchid blooms: chop sticks, dowel rods from a craft store, floral wire....

If you use chop sticks or dowel rods, you can wrap them in green floral tape to help them to blend in.

Good luck!
Likes greenpassion liked this post
Old 12-21-2017, 05:40 PM

I was wondering about the Chopsticks. Wouldn't they start to rot?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

And a totally off-topic question but pressing. I just got a new phone, the same exact phone that I had before which I use as my computer, but for some reason every time I go here to Orchid board I have to login over and over. Is there a place that I can select that can keep me logged in?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Zone: 8a
So many in spike  but where to find Stakes? Male

Here are some options:

For really short skewers: grocery store, buy bamboo skewers meant for grilling kabobs. They usually come in a couple different lengths.

Somewhat longer: big-box stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart usually have stakes of various diameters, lengths and materials, suitable for anything from house plants up to tomatoes. You can also find packaged long wooden skewers meant for hot dog roasting. Long wood or bamboo stakes can be cut to length.

Pick your own: I am lucky to have a patch of bamboo growing in my yard. If you are in a climate zone where bamboo or 'river cane' grow, you may be able to harvest that with the landowner's permission.

There are probably other options too. (I mentioned the easy and inexpensive ones because I'm a lazy cheapskate!)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Old 12-21-2017, 05:45 PM

I have bamboo growing in my yard as well, so when I can get to it through the snow perhaps I'll find use for the smaller branches. I am accustomed to using those steaks that are coated or finished with something so it's not actual like raw wood. That is what sparked my question about would the Kabob skewers rot. I realize it's probably a silly concern.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Zone: 8a
So many in spike  but where to find Stakes? Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpassion View Post
I was wondering about the Chopsticks. Wouldn't they start to rot?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

And a totally off-topic question but pressing. I just got a new phone, the same exact phone that I had before which I use as my computer, but for some reason every time I go here to Orchid board I have to login over and over. Is there a place that I can select that can keep me logged in?
There is a small check box next to where you enter your user name and password that allows you to save your login info and stay signed in.

Last edited by Orchid Whisperer; 12-21-2017 at 05:48 PM..
Old 12-21-2017, 05:48 PM

I had not thought of the chop sticks rotting as I use red lava rock for everything. Bamboo is a much better idea.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:55 PM

Thank you Orchid Whisperer and yes Leaf Mite bamboo is a good idea😊
Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 PM

Zone: 6a

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpassion View Post
I am accustomed to using those steaks that are coated or finished with something so it's not actual like raw wood. That is what sparked my question about would the Kabob skewers rot. I realize it's probably a silly concern.
No, it's not a silly concern, it's a legitimate question. I have used the wooden diffuser reeds that are used for scented oil, not for staking flower spikes but as the "skewers" for determining when to water. Yes, they do eventually degrade and soften up and get to a point where I simply replace them, but it takes many months. Something like a kabob skewer is going to be a thicker diameter and will last even longer, I think, probably plenty long enough for the average Phal. spike that's in bloom.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Zone: 6a

I go to Lowe's and buy "piano wire." You can then cut it to length with wire cutters. Yes, wooden skewers rot.