Damaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes?
Login
User Name
Password   

Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Damaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes?
Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Register Damaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes? Members Damaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes? Damaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes? Today's PostsDamaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes? Damaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes? Damaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes?
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >

Old 01-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Zone: 9b
Default Damaged leaves, and how do I remove spikes?

I have an Oncidium hybrida (Senora Que baila) I purchased from Lowes today that has damaged leaves and shrivaled spikes. The leaves have cuts in them, right down the center of some. I haven't repotted it yet (not sure if I should), but I have no idea of how to take care of this type since my others are Dendrobiums. Do I remove the spikes teh same way as a Den.? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/DSCN4856.jpg and http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/DSCN4857.jpg

I also got a Cymbidium today that has a large brown spike and some brown/dried other mass (I don't know what term to describe it) that i don't know if it should be removed. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/DSCN4848.jpg and http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/DSCN4851.jpg

THEN, one of my dendrobiums I purchased last week started getting black spots on it's leaves. Any suggestions? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/DSCN4855.jpg
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Zone: 5a

On the first one, I see no problems, just carefully remove the old spike by cutting near the base - doesn't matter how much old spike you leave, as long as you don't damage the leaf. Don't have any input on others.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
On the first one, I see no problems, just carefully remove the old spike by cutting near the base - doesn't matter how much old spike you leave, as long as you don't damage the leaf.
Thanks Ross. This one is also in spung. moss; should I remove it and replace it with a bark medium?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 PM

Zone: 4a

Hi There!
To throw in my I would do away with sphagnum moss altogether and only use if absolutely necessary. I have problems with rot using moss.
On your second one (woops, was that the one with the black spike?) Anyway, they all look pretty good. I would remove the black spike as it is spent. The dark around the pseudobulbs do not look bad, but I would gently peel back the papery covering (I don't know what it's called either) and ever so gently check and make sure nothing evil is lurking in there....such as scale, pests. I believe both those type plants need to be watered thoroughly then let dry out before rewatering. You might want to look that up to be sure.
And the dendrobium....the last, but never least.... it may be nothing, not really sure, but looks like either you or where you got it was misting or watering overly. Could be water related, could be more....time will tell. For Dendrobiums....don't water from overhead, and don't let them get cold. That combo is deadly. I would let it dry out good and watch it for new growth. I bet you will see some soon. The dendrobiums are very hardy growers.
Also, when you have a minute, go to the OB Home section and scroll down. One of those pages talks about Dens. and another talks about repotting. Great stuff here at the OB. Check it out. Hope I helped and didn't confuse. kiki-do
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 PM

nope, that was perfect. Easy to follow. Thanks for your help kiki-do.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Default Oncidium has rot!

So I took my oncidium out of the moss it was packed with and found rot at the bottom of the...canes? I know Dendrobiums have canes, but do Oncidiums? Anyway, I know rot is supposed to be cut away, but where it is, I dont know if it can be done. The rest of the plant doesn't seem to be affected by it.

and Image of oncidium outside rot - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Zone: 5a

Can't cut that away without giving up rest of the pseudobulb (not cane, like Dendros )

If it were me and I didn't want to lose plant I would wait for several days till roots turned nice and white (not tan, like photos) then drench plant and roots with Thiomyl which is a systemic rot curative. Available at Thiomyl OSG23: Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals I know it's not a "kitchen" curative, but it works and has saved many of my 'chids from danger. Use at your own discression, but it does work. Oh, yeah, and then I would plant in coarse bark mix to allow lots of air into mix. Wouldn't hurt to soak mix and plant in KLN after a couple weeks of drying out and curring from Thiomyl.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 PM

Someone said to use listerine, will that work as well? Should I put a baggy around the roots for a few days or go ahead and put it in the bark?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 PM

So here is the Cymbidium before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/DSCN4851.jpg

and after:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/DSCN4869.jpg
Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM

Zone: 4a

Looks good. Now, are those your only plants? If not, keep them isolated from the others for a while....a good month, and keep a close eye on them for pests.
That was quite the undertaking for a new orchid grower. You did well. Congrats! kiki