and become
Forum Supporter.

Long fibered sphagnum moss
Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Register Long fibered sphagnum moss Members Long fibered sphagnum moss Long fibered sphagnum moss Today's PostsLong fibered sphagnum moss Long fibered sphagnum moss Long fibered sphagnum moss
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >

Old 07-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Zone: 6a
Long fibered sphagnum moss Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipMolly View Post
Australia has strict quarantine rules.
Are you saying between different Australian states/territories there are restrictions so stringent you could not order from a vendor in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia and have the item delivered in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia? The link I provided are for vendors within Australia. There might at least be some folks listed with whom you could communicate in order to find what you are looking for.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiester View Post
Are you saying between different Australian states/territories there are restrictions so stringent you could not order from a vendor in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia and have the item delivered in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia? The link I provided are for vendors within Australia. There might at least be some folks listed with whom you could communicate in order to find what you are looking for.
If you look closely at the eBay listing, including those that you provided you will notice that none of them refer to long fibered strands. Indeed one of them purported to have long fibers in a long conversation and then sold me a stack of conventional moss.

That is the point I am trying to make. People it would seem have no appreciation of the distinction between long fibered moss and just moss. They are the same product, the long fibered ones are just preserved legnthwise and not disrupted.

There are long fibered products available on eBay (just search for long fibered moss for Neofinetia). They are unfortunately sold by US eBay stores, so cannot be imported into Australia.

---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Quote:
These are examples of the kind of moss I require for fuukiran style culture.

https://www.orchidweb.com/products/a...etia~1365.html

5A NEW Zealand Sphagnum Moss FOR Neofinetia Falcata 100G Loose Fiber | eBay

And this youtube video explains why you need the length.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:31 PM

Zone: 6a

Yes, thank you. I'm aware of the grades and uses of sphagnum moss strands for fuukiran type culture. Sorry you're having such a difficult time finding what you need.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, thank you. I'm aware of the grades and uses of sphagnum moss strands for fuukiran type culture. Sorry you're having such a difficult time finding what you need.
Thanks I do appreciate your trying to help. I'm surprised myself at how difficult it is it obtain the long fibered moss. Have the pots, the plants, but not the right kind of moss to create the perfect balls. None of the orchid potting sellers in Australia I know, know what fuukiran culture is, and so far my local orchid club has been unable to provide help.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:36 PM

Zone: 5a
Member of:TROS, AOS, FSA

Can you use nylon/Cotten thread to wrap the chopped moss in the mound? I've done that before I got a reliable source of long strand sphagnum moss.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes ChipMolly liked this post
Old 07-17-2014, 09:43 PM

Zone: 9b

If you just want the look, Matt's idea would work. Also look for acrylic fuzzy yarn. Other options might be hair nets or fishnet stockings.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlon’s Razor

I am not being argumentative. I am correcting you!

LoL Since when is science an opinion?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:57 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions! Will give them a try.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattWoelfsen View Post
Can you use nylon/Cotten thread to wrap the chopped moss in the mound? I've done that before I got a reliable source of long strand sphagnum moss.
If you don't like the look of the string, maybe you could use a thinner thread to hold things together and then tuck shorter pieces of sphag along the thread lines to hide them

Otherwise, the fishnet stocking comment gave me an idea... would look cool but probably a lot of work. I'm thinking using a contrasting string and knotting it in sort of the same way the strings around japanese glass fishing floats are done... ( Look what I made today! A hand tied glass fishing float net! « In the Studio with Ruth Bleakley )
Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Zone: 6b
Member of:AOS
Long fibered sphagnum moss Female
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipMolly View Post
Does anyone know where I can purchase this in Australia for fuukiran style culture?
I just received 2 volumes of books about Mini.orchids by Ron Parsons and Nancy Gerritsen and there are about 12 sources for orchid related items that I could send you-all are in Australia.