How long should I expect for my oncidiums to mature and bloom?
Login
User Name
Password   

Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

How long should I expect for my oncidiums to mature and bloom?
Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >

Old 11-04-2022, 02:37 AM

Zone: 7a
How long should I expect for my oncidiums to mature and bloom? Male

Ok, I realize this is a late post (from Feb) after a bump, but I felt I had something to share.
Ok, I bought several oncidiums of 2-3 years and or young mericlones from a vendor in Jan 2019, which I believe to have been a bit smaller than the OP photos from Feb. I have the first flowering of one of my Wilsonaras going on now. I'm certain I'm not far behind on the Odontonia and either this growth or the next will probably see a spike on it. The dendrobiums of the same vintage were tinier and they grow a bit slower. I am a bit unsure if next year will see them spiking or it might be the year after. However, everything is growing vigorouly and has gone from a 1 1/2 or 2 inch to a 4 and both the referenced Oncidium types probably should become a six inch pot come spring. Roots growing everywhere..which is a good problem to have I guess ;0
However, I could absolute agree with Roberta that the next PB could initiate a spike if the culture is good.
It'd be nice to see an update by the original poster as well.

Last edited by dbarron; 11-04-2022 at 03:12 AM..
Old 04-16-2023, 10:10 PM

How long should I expect for my oncidiums to mature and bloom? Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeflower View Post
...His climate is akin to growing on mars which is why he pretends to know how to grow them.
... once you disagree with ES about 80% of the time have you reached a point of being a good grower.
On the other hand, I am a fan of ES because my climate is similar to (hers/his/theirs-- *I have no idea*). My climate is like the other side of Mars. So other than dropping in to be a churlish knave, you really need to base a lot of your care on your own microclimate. I've always found orchids grow better outside, but they also die pretty quickly if you are in my microclimate. That's why I mostly grow plants that do not fuss and moan if I plop them in a bucket of water and forget them.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:37 PM

Zone: 6b
Member of:SEPOS

Aaronob, I feel exactly as you do. The fun is purchasing them small and growing them to flower.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:06 AM

Well it's 2023 now and my Odontonia from the 2019 buy has almost burst into flower. I expect a repeat bloom session from one that flowered last Thanksgiving soon. Should be at least three spikes on it this year.
The little dendrobiums aren't so little any more either, but they haven't yet sent up a spike. Possibly later this year.

In a way it feels odd that I have acquired so many other plants since that have bloomed already. But hey, everything in it's time. It's sure been fun tracking their growth and up-potting them.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Mugsie liked this post
Old 09-16-2023, 10:07 PM

How long should I expect for my oncidiums to mature and bloom? Female

So here is an update to the original post.

The breathless Florence bloomed once and then died. 3 of them are pictured. They have grown a good bit! One other one isn't doing well and i think it's trying to die.

The breathless Florence is the only one that has bloomed at all. All the rest are just growing away!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes estación seca liked this post