Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 AM

Maxillaria tenuifolia advice needed
Default Maxillaria tenuifolia potting advice needed

I bought one of these guys about a month ago. It's just a little plant, but had a couple of flowers when I bought it, which have gone now.

I feel like it's not adjusting well and that perhaps the bark medium isn't the best choice for this plant. I understand they like to be moist and get lots of sun, but I'm having trouble finding out what medium it prefers from culture sheets I've looked up.

It came potted in a bark mix, I am wondering if it would do better in sphagnum? I also have a small Lechuza self-watering pot. It has a little wick in the bottom and provides continual moisture from the reservoir to the growing medium.

I was wondering if you guys think I should maybe try to repot with sphagnum in the self-watering pot, if you think it might be a bit happier? I might also move it to a sunnier location, it's currently under a light with my Cattleya's.

Last edited by CZF; 05-29-2019 at 12:11 PM..
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 PM

Zone: 9b
Maxillaria tenuifolia advice needed Male

I am no maxillaria expert but have had my coconut orchid for over 7 years now. Started out as a 3 bulb purchase and now has over 50 bulbs, even after divisions and giveaways. I grow mine mounted on a wood slab with plastic mesh to hold it, in all sphagnum, and as bright of light as possible without direct light. Even brighter light than my cattleya orchids. I live in Florida so my conditions are hot and humid so your conditions will be different based on where you live (Canada I am guessing). During summer I have to water it every other day as the sphagnum dries out that fast here. Since yours just finished blooming it is probably going to start growing new bulbs soon. The bulbs come from the side bases of previous bulbs and one bulb will usually create two new bulbs, one from each side. I have never grown it in a pot so I can’t comment there although these tend to be vertical growers. I ALWAYS repot newly purchased orchids as most nurseries/vendors don’t repot before selling and the media is usually already a few years old.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 AM

Thanks very much!

I'm going to give my Lechuza pot a try and move it to the side of my house with south exposure, but not directly in the window, so it's a bit brighter.

Hopefully it will like the new setup. I think the self-watering pot and sphagnum will help keep it more consistently damp, which it may appreciate.

Fingers crossed!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Bark is also a suitable medium for this species, but what works best for each person depends on the environmental conditions and their culture habits.

Note about the self watering pot, do remember to give the reservoir a good monthly flush to remove accumulated waste. Can't say anything about the suitablity of such a pot, I've never grown any orchids in them.

About exposure, we're at comparable latitudes I think so similar strength of sunlight,, and this plant can take (and needs for good flowering) direct sun for a large part of the day, and is happy outside in the summer. As with any increase in light, it must be done gradually to avoid burning the plant.

Completely orchid obsessed and loving every minute of it....

My Orchid Photos
Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille1585 View Post
Bark is also a suitable medium for this species, but what works best for each person depends on the environmental conditions and their culture habits.

Note about the self watering pot, do remember to give the reservoir a good monthly flush to remove accumulated waste. Can't say anything about the suitablity of such a pot, I've never grown any orchids in them.

About exposure, we're at comparable latitudes I think so similar strength of sunlight,, and this plant can take (and needs for good flowering) direct sun for a large part of the day, and is happy outside in the summer. As with any increase in light, it must be done gradually to avoid burning the plant.
Thanks Camille! I think I've got a good spot, it's near the window, but not right on the sill. It will get sun for a few hours a day, but I'll gradually move it closer. I might just put it close to that spot at first, so it's getting bright light, but not direct sun for the first bit.

I'll be sure to flush out the reservoir, the pot has an insert that you can take out with the plant in it, and clean the pot.