<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Old 11-24-2021, 01:07 PM

Trying Out Terrarium Growing
Default Trying Out Terrarium Growing

Hey Orchid Board,

The name's Xenon and I am a Ph.D. student who loves growing plants as a hobby. I keep mostly common ferns and philodendrons. I've had a couple orchids through the years, but I tend to kill anything more temperamental than a Phalaenopsis. I'm holding out hope that terrarium growing will let me branch out a little. On a student's budget I can't do much all at once, but reading Draikan's thread inspired to me to start tinkering and piecing things together. I'm planning to document my process here so that I have a record to look back on. If anyone wants to chime in and encourage a novice orchid keeper that would be appreciated too.

So far, I have bought some components to assemble the terrarium itself, copying Draikan where I can. I hope to assemble on Friday and post an update about it.

Parts list:

1 x $52 Tray link
1 x $60 Lights link
1 x $30 Plastic sheeting link
2 x $18 Egg crate link
4 x $5 3/4 inch PVC link
1 x $10 PVC T fittings link
1 x $16 PVC three way fittings link

Last edited by XenonLion; 11-24-2021 at 01:10 PM..
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Fuerte Rav liked this post
Old 11-24-2021, 04:35 PM
Banned

Hi Xenon,
I think that tray is overpriced. I'm sure if you went to your local hydropinics store they'd have something equivalent for half the price.

The lights are ok but they aren't grow lights. Small niggle, but I'm sure they'll do ok. Things will grow under them and who knows they might give identical results. I've only tried fluorescents and led's but there is a difference between my discontinued Ikea growlight they used to sell and equivalent bulbs I've bought since. The Ikea bulbs make stuff grow but I am thinking by now the results are not as good as other bulbs.

The lights you have should be used if height is a limitation but it sounds like you can ultimately control the height in which case this light would light up the area too:

Amazon.com

I've tried this light, it works great. The difference is hard to describe but my attempt would be the garage lights are like portable radio's, the more you place next to each other the louder they get but take the plant grow light it would be the equivalent to on outdoor sound system the whole neighbourhood could hear. You'd need a lot of radio's and even then I don't think you could generate the bass, ok off topic but the grow light you cannot look directly in to - it is as bright as the sun, the garage lights are designed to gently illuminate a garage. The more you use the brighter they will be but you will still be able to look into each one without discomfort.
That's the difference and the results should be accordingly.

Like I mentioned weaker garage lights are great when height is a limitation as they can be used as undershelf lighting where higher powered grow lights would just be too strong but I'd go with the grow light, it has more wavelength and more power to provide energy (think one big sound system is better than 10 portable tinny sounding radio's)

Last edited by Shadeflower; 11-24-2021 at 04:53 PM..
Old 11-24-2021, 09:22 PM

Zone: 9b
Trying Out Terrarium Growing Male

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

If you choose carefully and have some natural light available you won't need artificial lighting nor spraying. Consider growing a few suitable small orchids in pots in your terrarium to learn how they grow, and get more complex when you're more familiar with orchids.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Old 11-25-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeflower View Post
Hi Xenon,
I think that tray is overpriced. I'm sure if you went to your local hydropinics store they'd have something equivalent for half the price.

The lights are ok but they aren't grow lights. Small niggle, but I'm sure they'll do ok.
Hi Shadeflower!

Yeah the tray felt overpriced but it didnt look like there was anything better when I was at the hardware store. Hydroponics store is a great tip, I will try that next time!

As for the lights, I was on a budget and they seemed to work for the person I was trying to model this build after. I don't really know anything about lighting though. I appreciate the link, I will check those lights out.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estación seca View Post
If you choose carefully and have some natural light available you won't need artificial lighting nor spraying. Consider growing a few suitable small orchids in pots in your terrarium to learn how they grow, and get more complex when you're more familiar with orchids.
My natural light areas are about at capacity for plants unfortunately! The first attachment is the only sunny window in my apartment. My apartment is also very dry. I keep my Aerangis Zipper above my fish tank and give it a good spray every day but its leaves still look a little wrinkled. You can see it in my second attachment.

I would be super curious if you have recommendations of suitable small orchids for beginners!
Attached Thumbnails
Trying Out Terrarium Growing-pxl_20211119_123551450-jpg   Trying Out Terrarium Growing-img_3164-jpg  
Old 11-26-2021, 10:15 AM

I had some free time this morning so I assembled the frame. I feel like it came out good, I am so excited to put it the rest of the way together!
Attached Thumbnails
Trying Out Terrarium Growing-img_3170-jpg  
Old 11-26-2021, 02:36 PM

Zone: 9b
Trying Out Terrarium Growing Male

Easy depends on the ambient conditions. I easily grew low-light orchids in clay pots in a 10-gallon aquarium in my cool San Francisco dorm room, but none of those would survive in my current home.

Set up your terrarium with both thermometer and humidistat. Add one sturdy and easy house plant to mimic orchids. Note the temperature and humidity through the day. Then you'll have an idea of your conditions when you look for plants.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Old 11-26-2021, 02:47 PM
Banned

Looks good.
The light I suggested would need a good 2 feet additional in height added on top.

Some might consider that too much.

I know ordering the garage lights will be a parcel the size of a suitcase - I would argue that is too much

They would both work. Depends what your long term aims are.

Considering the price is relatively similar it's just a matter of picking the Tesla or the Reliant Robin.

But the tesla will need a bigger garage (ie more height lol)

If you haven't got any yet I can recommend some oncidium twinkle. They are quite easy. Otherwise I struggle more with my mini's, not sure there are any that I would particularly call easy that I would recommend.

Last edited by Shadeflower; 11-26-2021 at 03:01 PM..