and become
Forum Supporter.

Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid
Many perks!
<...more...>

Sponsor

Google

Fauna Top Sites
Register Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid Members Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid Today's PostsCatasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid
Go Back   Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! > >

Old 01-02-2020, 12:04 AM

Default Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid

Hi friends,
I am new to this forum. Staying in Dallas. I recently purchased a witch craft orchid from orchids.com

Below is the picture. It has a very tiny old dormant pseudo bulb very low in the pot and not visible in this picture.

It has one plum mature pseudo bulb which has green leaves. One of the leaves started to turn yellow and also, I see some bud like growth starting at the bottom of this pseudo bulb.

It also have a third pseudo bulb which is on its way to mature in few months

Few questions....
1. As the leaf started to yellow on the mature pseudo bulb, should I reduce watering?
2. Is the small brown bud like thing at the foot of the mature pseudo bulb a flower spike?
3. As I have a third pseudo bulb which is yet to mature, how should I consider this plant? Will reducing water impact the growth of the third pseudo bulb ?

Pictures attached. Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid-096a9513-f1c5-45f5-8e0f-e73b403a33ef-jpg   Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid-20d2ac9d-9836-4dc1-a84b-b73ec233a3c3-jpg  

Last edited by sskmaestro; 01-02-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Old 01-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Zone: 10b

I’d say it looks like a nice plant and it is about to enter dormancy.

Conventional wisdom is to stop watering now, completely, let it drop the leaves, use all its stored goodness for growing and then repot (or resume watering) when there are 2-3” new roots.

Now, a lot has to do with your conditions and medium and such but generally, leave it alone now

Zone 10b, Baby! Hot and wet

#MoreFlowers Insta
#MoreFlowers Flickr
Old 01-02-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts View Post
I’d say it looks like a nice plant and it is about to enter dormancy.

Conventional wisdom is to stop watering now, completely, let it drop the leaves, use all its stored goodness for growing and then repot (or resume watering) when there are 2-3” new roots.

Now, a lot has to do with your conditions and medium and such but generally, leave it alone now
Thanks for your response! But I have a question. What is the little brown thing? A dormant eye? Or a spike ?
Attached Thumbnails
Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid-310b7e6d-f6c3-4e0a-9fcd-dabc81d76d00-jpg  
Old 01-02-2020, 12:50 PM
American Orchid Society Judge

Zone: 8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskmaestro View Post
Thanks for your response! But I have a question. What is the little brown thing? A dormant eye? Or a spike ?
Too small to tell!

Pics on Flickr

Instagram

YouTube
Old 01-06-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskmaestro View Post
Hi friends,
I am new to this forum. Staying in Dallas. I recently purchased a witch craft orchid from orchids.com

Below is the picture. It has a very tiny old dormant pseudo bulb very low in the pot and not visible in this picture.

It has one plum mature pseudo bulb which has green leaves. One of the leaves started to turn yellow and also, I see some bud like growth starting at the bottom of this pseudo bulb.

It also have a third pseudo bulb which is on its way to mature in few months

Few questions....
1. As the leaf started to yellow on the mature pseudo bulb, should I reduce watering?
2. Is the small brown bud like thing at the foot of the mature pseudo bulb a flower spike?
3. As I have a third pseudo bulb which is yet to mature, how should I consider this plant? Will reducing water impact the growth of the third pseudo bulb ?

Pictures attached. Please advise.
Quick transformation in span of few days..... all leaves turned yellow very quickly and one of them came off....
Attached Thumbnails
Catasetum Millenium Magic Witch Craft orchid-693b4735-bae2-40e4-baf0-bc6266d2a51b-jpg  
Old 01-07-2020, 12:55 PM
American Orchid Society Judge

Zone: 8b

Yep, dormancy can strike with surprising speed!

Pics on Flickr

Instagram

YouTube