Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Maidenhair fern (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/99828-maidenhair-fern.html)

WaterWitchin 02-11-2019 10:34 AM

Maidenhair fern

I'd put this in the semi hydro thread, but it isn't about an orchid. I grow almost everything in S/H. I've had maidenhair ferns that lasted a long time, and some not so long. I just purchased a $5 start the past weekend, and thought.... hmmmmm, wonder if S/H would work for this.

Anyone successfully growing maidenhair fern in S/H? My main concern would probably be keeping temp within its preferred limits without a seedling mat during winter. And can't, because right now they're all being used for their original purpose.

What about a staghorn fern? Any success in S/H stories out there?

Orchid Whisperer 02-11-2019 05:32 PM

I'm assuming this is a native North American maidenhair fern?

I don't know about semi-hydro, but they are calciphiles, so you should always add some limestone to the potting mix, and aim for a neutral or slightly basic soil pH (7.2 pH is a good target).

Kansas should have plenty of limestone, chalk, and similar rock. In a pinch you can use eggshells, lawn lime, even chips of concrete.

Selmo 02-11-2019 10:13 PM

We grow this outside in the garden. It comes up early in the spring and goes dormant in the fall. We don’t give it any special attention, mulch, or even extra water. It seems to thrive, so I don’t know if it would do better growing inside the house. I don’t know if it would need a winter dormancy. Being that you are in zone 6 you are slightly warmer than us, you should be able to grow it outside in the ground or in a pot. But maybe that is not the idea,
Growing The staghorn fern in s/h may not be the best choice either. They grow a dense mat of fibrous roots that cover anything they come in contact with. We grow them on cedar shake mounts and they engulf the entire mount in a few years, both sides.

Dollythehun 02-11-2019 10:53 PM

Ladies, not all maidenhairs are hardy. Indoors humidity may be an issue though.

estación seca 02-11-2019 11:11 PM

A lot of the tropical ones grow in the mist zone near waterfalls. I would think they should do well in S/H.

In addition to Selmo's great advice, realize a happy staghorn gets huge fast. You wouldn't be able to move an appropriate S/H pot without a winch and hand truck.

I think OW and Selmo are gents.

WaterWitchin 02-12-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchid Whisperer (Post 891549)
I'm assuming this is a native North American maidenhair fern?

I don't know about semi-hydro, but they are calciphiles, so you should always add some limestone to the potting mix, and aim for a neutral or slightly basic soil pH (7.2 pH is a good target).

Kansas should have plenty of limestone, chalk, and similar rock. In a pinch you can use eggshells, lawn lime, even chips of concrete.

Good to know. Yes, Kansas... LOTS of limestone. I usually use oyster shell (have chickens).

Not, not a native North American. It's Adiantum capillus-veneris. Tropical.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selmo (Post 891567)
We grow this outside in the garden. It comes up......
Growing The staghorn fern in s/h may not be the best choice either. They grow a dense mat of fibrous roots that cover anything they come in contact with. We grow them on cedar shake mounts and they engulf the entire mount in a few years, both sides.

I have maidenhair fern in my outdoor fern bed. Sorry, should have been more specific. This is a tropical maidenhair.

Staghorn...Hmmmm. Was just thinking since it's an epiphyte it might be a good candidate. I've had them for sale, cared for them, but never had one other than at the store. Had no idea what the roots looked like. It would be nice if mine grew large quickly. You don't leave that outside though, right?

ES... Yes, that's why I thought S/H might be a good option for the maidenhair. Plus, as Dolly says, the higher humidity is a problem indoors. If I put it in SH it'll be where there's higher humidity, in my culture, as it's in a humid area of the house.

Decision made: S/H for the maidenhair, and mounting for the staghorn. And that staghorn better grow in leaps and bounds!! :rofl:

Dollythehun 02-12-2019 09:38 AM

"I think OW and Selmo are gents." Apologies Selmo. OW I know better. No offense was intended.