Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Phalaenopsis with edges of leaves turning light green (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/99676-phalaenopsis-edges-leaves-light-green.html)

OrchideeNormus 01-21-2019 08:32 PM

Phalaenopsis with edges of leaves turning light green

1 Attachment(s)
I've noticed this light green on the edges of the leaves becoming more prominent over the last couple weeks. Is this something to worry about?

estación seca 01-22-2019 12:21 AM

What are your growing conditions? I would not think it should be losing that older leaf.

OrchideeNormus 01-22-2019 12:55 AM

I'm sorry if I don't answer you fully, please tell me if you need more details but I think you're meaning setup and growing location? They are in self watering pots with LECA in my living room. It was a grocery store buy a couple months ago and it was in bark that was old. I'm not 100% sure what the temperature or humidity is in my grow space. I don't have a fancy system that tells me or even a cheap thermometer lol. I try to keep it comfortable for myself and my animals so I would guess it doesn't fall below 65°F. In the middle of the night, who knows, I'm not in there lol. I realize that could be an issue, but none of my other orchids seem to mind it. Not as far as I can tell anyways. I do use a very diluted fertilizer in the water and flush once a month with reverse osmosis water. The fertilizer is Jack's classic orchid special 30-10-10, I take the lowest recommended dose and cut that in half.The dying lower leafs I have assumed was due to the stress of the medium and living space change. My main concern is that light green around the edges of the top leaves. I noticed it a couple weeks ago and it seems to be spreading. Oh yeah, I live in Whetstone, AZ about 4 hours south of you.

OrchideeNormus 01-26-2019 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 890272)
What are your growing conditions? I would not think it should be losing that older leaf.

I went ahead and ordered this thing that tells me the humidity and temperature. It came yesterday so I set it up roughly 24 hours ago. It was surprisingly hot when I got home from work in the afternoon. Even with the door open this afternoon it still got a bit warmer than I expected so it's already going to be helpful to me, thanks for the suggestion lol 😉 Hope it helps you answer my question

Mountaineer370 01-27-2019 09:23 AM

I love my Acu-Rite weather station. We've had them for many years, long before I started growing orchids. It's the first thing I look at when I get up in the morning.

OrchideeNormus 02-03-2019 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Still wondering what's going on with this phal. I have adjusted my PH levels and started adding calmag to my normal water and feed routine since making this post. One of my suspicions of the cause is nutrient deficiency, I can't say I've seen any changes since the improved watering method. It's only been two weeks so I'm not sure if that's long enough to see any results. Last night I came across some information that leads me to think this might be an iron deficiency. I'll include the nutrition information on my fertilizer and keeping in mind I take the lowest recommended dose (1/4tsp per gal) and cut it in half... do I need to supplement more iron?

estación seca 02-03-2019 10:53 AM

Phals don't do anything quickly. Just relax, learn to take care of them and let them grow.

OrchideeNormus 02-03-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 891059)
Phals don't do anything quickly. Just relax, learn to take care of them and let them grow.

Okay I'll breathe into a paper bag and try to stop hyperventilating then 😂😋

In all seriousness, I will, thank you 🙂

Dollythehun 02-03-2019 03:53 PM

Mine had a nutrient deficiency. It took a looong time to overcome. Patience.