Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Miscellaneous & Other Genera (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/)
-   -   Pecteilus radiata 2019 (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/99675-pecteilus-radiata-2019-a.html)

Subrosa 01-21-2019 05:39 PM

Pecteilus radiata 2019

1 Attachment(s)
Last season did not go well for my radiata, as I lost several tubers over the course of the season. I had only 2 tubers of 'Ginga' that needed wintering, and I decided to try something different. I filled a 3" undrained unglazed pot with leca and planted the tubers about an inch down. The pot sat in a tray that usually had about an inch of water in it, and I added water directly to the pot from time to time. Both tubers were holding well until today, when I noticed a bit of green. Yup!

orchidsarefun 01-21-2019 06:38 PM

I just checked mine that are in the fridge veggie drawer. No sign of any growth. I think that's a good thing as it would be way too early. ( For me )
It'll be interesting to see how yours do over the season.

estación seca 01-22-2019 12:31 AM

Mine (and the Spiranthes, and the Ponerorchis) got eaten by rats last season. I was out of town all November and missed the pre-order. I think I'll sit out this year.

Subrosa 01-22-2019 01:51 AM

I kept mine in my basement rather than the fridge this year. Temps were pretty stable in the mid to upper 50s. No doubt that had something to do with it, as Ponerorchis keiskei is in full bloom, and the Pogonia japonica is about ready to start.

Subrosa 02-12-2019 09:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Update: I'm extremely happy with the results of this method. I set up 2 P. radiata and 3 Ponerorchis (Amitostigma) keiskei tubers this way, and 5/5 tubers made it through dormancy and are growing. This method could hold promise, I just wish I'd had a larger sample size to work with. I'm impressed enough with it to take it to the next level. I think I've figured out a good way to adapt this method for outdoor use. P. radiata is supposed to be zone 6 hardy. I plan to put that to the test.

Subrosa 06-05-2019 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Soon......

Bulbopedilum 06-10-2019 08:02 AM

has it bloomed yet?

Subrosa 06-10-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulbopedilum (Post 897510)
has it bloomed yet?

Within a week I think.

Subrosa 06-21-2019 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lousy conditions for taking a pic!

Nlamr 07-25-2019 10:27 PM

Picking the brains of people with experience.... I just bought two of these, they are supposed to be coming in 2 inch pots, should I repot them when I get them? Also, when it is time for their winter rest I plan on putting them in the crisper (most reliable place I have at the moment). Do I just put the pot and all in a baggy or do I unpot them and just put the corms in a baggy with something? What works best in your experience?