Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Cattleya Odom's Magic Sunset (C. Tokyo Magic x C. Kiwi Sunset) (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/99561-cattleya-odoms-magic-sunset-tokyo-magic-kiwi-sunset.html)

JScott 01-06-2019 12:16 AM

Cattleya Odom's Magic Sunset (C. Tokyo Magic x C. Kiwi Sunset)

4 Attachment(s)
I got this as a little seedling from one of Odom's crosses a while back, and this is its first bloom. Odom has the plant listed online and tagged as Slc, however as that name is now obsolete, I've named it in the title of this thread by the genus under which it is registered with the RHS.

The plant is just over 6 inches tall, and the flowers are right at 3 inches. The flowers are held on a tall stem. They grew on a pseudobulb without a sheath, and I had to stake them, however I think that if there had been a sheath, it would not have required staking, and I guess we will find out on the next bloom.

The photos on Odom's website of the first of these to bloom all show cream, yellow, or pink petals. When mine opened white, I thought maybe the color would develop over the next few days and they might darken up a little, however they've been open about a week now, so I think white is how they will stay.

It's so cute and tiny and lovely, and I'm very happy with it.

Paphluvr 01-06-2019 06:47 AM

Very pretty! Any fragrance?

Mountaineer370 01-06-2019 08:00 AM

The whole plant looks very happy under your care, and those flowers are a lovely splash of color!

JScott 01-06-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paphluvr (Post 889385)
Very pretty! Any fragrance?

I don't detect any fragrance, but my sense of smell is impaired by a head injury from an accident when I was a teenager, so just because I can't smell it doesn't mean it isn't there. If it was strong enough, I would be able to smell it, so if there is a fragrance, it is pretty light.

Paul 01-06-2019 02:35 PM

Very nice!

TamiP 01-06-2019 04:09 PM

Just fabulous colors!

JScott 01-06-2019 11:40 PM

Just an update regarding the fragrance question. A friend was at my house earlier today, and I asked him to sniff this plant (lol), and he says that it does have a sweet, floral fragrance. I still can't smell it lol, but it's there. It seems like sometimes the fragrance gets stronger after the flowers are open for a while, so maybe it will be strong enough for me to smell later.

Gthumbz89 01-17-2019 09:40 PM

I love it! Odom's is such a great vendor.

JScott 01-17-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gthumbz89 (Post 890049)
I love it! Odom's is such a great vendor.

Definitely my favorite place to get Catts. And thank you!