Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Stapeliads (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/99457-stapeliads.html)

Subrosa 12-22-2018 01:26 PM

Stapeliads

6 Attachment(s)
A few of another obsession, succulents of the Stapeliae tribe. Although they look very cactus like, they're not even distantly related. They're more closely related to the milkweed so well known for it's association with monarch butterflies.

katrina 12-22-2018 04:14 PM

I grow quite a few of these myself. Love them!! My first one was a gigantea and after successfully growing and blooming that one for a few years...I had to have more. The gig has now over grown a 8 or 10" hanging pot but most of my others are in 4 or 6" pots. I've killed a couple but most seem to do pretty well for me.

Bulbopedilum 12-22-2018 07:12 PM

I dont grow any but they seem cool.
What's that first one?

Subrosa 12-22-2018 07:31 PM

First pic is a Larryleachia cactiformis, pics 2-4 are all different clones of Huernia zebrina, pic 5 is Huernia schneideriana, and last pic is a hybrid of Huernia oculata.

MrHappyRotter 12-22-2018 10:49 PM

Very cool. I have Huernia zebrina, Huernia schneideriana, and Huernia oculata.

H. zebrina is scentless.

H. schneideriana smells like stinky dog breath.

Huernia oculata smells like the flavor packs that come with Ramen noodles.

I also have a Stapelia flavopurpurea which smells almost exactly like one of my favorite orchid scents, Paph. Shun Fa Golden. It's a pleasant citrus, honey, floral fragrance.

This is a fascinating family of plants.

Subrosa 08-09-2019 10:47 PM

6 Attachment(s)
A few updated pics:

Bulbopedilum 08-09-2019 10:55 PM

I like the larryleachia, reminds me of pseudolithos. Speaking of pseudolithos, do you have any experience with them?

Ray 08-10-2019 06:18 AM

Before I became orchid-obsessed, I had a pretty god collection of them, as well.

katrina 08-10-2019 07:14 AM

Very cool! I love that first one.

My small collection of "carrion flower" succulents has grown a little this year...but I've also become obsessed w/plumeria and adenium over the past year. Not sure where I'll put everything come fall.

I need a Fairy Godmother to install a giant g/h in my backyard and to magically heat it for me every winter. :biggrin:

Subrosa 08-10-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrina (Post 900203)
Very cool! I love that first one.

My small collection of "carrion flower" succulents has grown a little this year...but I've also become obsessed w/plumeria and adenium over the past year. Not sure where I'll put everything come fall.

I need a Fairy Godmother to install a giant g/h in my backyard and to magically heat it for me every winter. :biggrin:

The nice thing about Stapeliads is that most are fine sitting on or hanging above a sunny windowsill during the winter, provided they don't get too cold, and stay dry. I tried Plumeria, but those suckers get big, taking up as much space as a fig tree! And figs taste better, so until that giant, magically heated greenhouse appears in my yard, figs it is!

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulbopedilum (Post 900195)
I like the larryleachia, reminds me of pseudolithos. Speaking of pseudolithos, do you have any experience with them?

I do not.