Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vendor Feedback (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vendor-feedback/)
-   -   eBay Vender naomim320 (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vendor-feedback/99436-ebay-vender-naomim320.html)

Salixx 12-19-2018 06:48 PM

eBay Vender naomim320

I'm sorry if this comes across as petty but I am pretty salty about it and I know this topic has come up multiple times in the past. If the mods find it inappropriate, I will gladly have it removed or take it down myself.

However, eBay seller naomim320 is using a photo I took without permission and may be trying to hide it by cropping the photo. I have reach out asking that it be taken down but he/she has ignored my request. I have also filed a VeRO complaint with eBay but I'm just so pissed that I need to vent.

My photo on this forum, second photo is the stolen one:
ShouJou

Listing URL:
Stolen Photo Listing

This person is also falsely claiming the photo is of Shutennou, probably because I have used it myself to give a general descriptor of how the plant will look but always disclosed that the photo was not that of Shutennou.

A full disclosure - I also sell orchids on eBay which pisses me off even more because I only use my own photos or those I have permission to use and if someone were to message me and say "Hey, that's my photo" I would be super apologetic and take it down immediately and let them know one of my own suppliers is using it without permission. I try my best to take good photos of both my own plants and those that I sell and understand the value of ones intellectual properties.

Anyway, I don't expect much but thanks for letting me vent.

TamiP 12-19-2018 07:40 PM

Frankly I'm glad you posted! I saw that one and was thinking about it......not anymore!

wisdomseeker 12-19-2018 08:03 PM

Unfortunately it happens :((. Better to vent than continue to fume... hopefully you will resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

Now a days anything is 'fair' game on the internet. A lot of people embed their photos to help prevent unscrupulous things from happening. It's a shame that you posted your photo on this forum and someone used it as their own.

I had the same thing happen with some Tillandsia photos (posted on another forum) by a vendor in China (and can you believe they were amateur shots from an old point & shoot camera). It would have been nice if someone asked if they could use the photo, or at least given me credit for the photo... but, oh well... I keep posting photos and still never embed them.

Even though I contacted the vendor to let them know that they were using "my" photo, I never got "the common courtesy" of a response. I approached the subject in a different light: I was glad they liked my photo and truly flattered that they used the photo.

TamiP 12-19-2018 08:11 PM

Well, from a buyers perspective it's a big deal to me. If a picture is the representation of what they're selling me.

Salixx 12-19-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisdomseeker (Post 888361)
I approached the subject in a different light: I was glad they liked my photo and truly flattered that they used the photo.

I can understand that sentiment. I do worry that by accepting bad actors we not only allow but enforce the idea that copy right infringement is okay.

This is also my competitor using my intellectual property for their gain. I take photos to further my own business and try to gain a competitive advantage through my own hard work. I do not do it so that other's may profit off my back and potentially take sales away from me.

fishmom 12-19-2018 08:27 PM

Vent away! It's good for us to know which vendors to avoid.

TamiP 12-19-2018 08:33 PM

Salixx, what's your ebay name?

Salixx 12-19-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamiP (Post 888365)
Salixx, what's your ebay name?

I've PMed you my eBay ID

wisdomseeker 12-20-2018 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salixx (Post 888363)
I can understand that sentiment. I do worry that by accepting bad actors we not only allow but enforce the idea that copy right infringement is okay.

This is also my competitor using my intellectual property for their gain. I take photos to further my own business and try to gain a competitive advantage through my own hard work. I do not do it so that other's may profit off my back and potentially take sales away from me.

Understandable for sure! I strongly agree with your "accepting bad actors" statement. Even in a non-business sense (I'm just a plain 'ole' hobbyist), ripping someone off (photos or otherwise, via cyber space or etc.) is just plain wrong. Did you have your photo copy-righted? If so... 1-800-LAWYER!

Subrosa 12-20-2018 06:14 AM

I'm surprised we haven't heard from the "if it's on the internet, it's public property" argument yet. Someone usually brings that up during discussion on this subject.