Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Catasetum 'Fredclarkarea SVO Black Pearl': Two canes with different stage of growth. (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/99429-catasetum-fredclarkarea-svo-black-pearl-canes-stage-growth.html)

Aedrich 12-19-2018 02:46 AM

Catasetum 'Fredclarkarea Black Pearl':2 pseudobulbs with different stage of growth.

2 Attachment(s)
I just bought the Fredclarkarea Black Pearl but I am confused with what to do with it. It has two active canes. One is entering dormancy but the other is still mid its growth stage.

Here in Italy, it is nearly winter and the temperatures are going down.

What should I do? Should I follow the water routine of inducing dormancy or should I water regularly so that the other cane in mid growth matures.

Aedrich 12-19-2018 04:11 AM

In my oppinion, the plant is entering dormancy. The plant's main cane is the one with two leaves and the one with more leaves is perhaps only an extra cane from this year's cycle?

SillyCookies 12-20-2018 03:10 AM

*DISCLAIMER* I am a huge noob with no catesetum growing experience! But I would think that the best thing to do is to continue feeding the new growth to avoid setback, but keep a sharp eye out for changes in how quickly the medium dries out to see how the plant is taking it. Then again, if you want to season it and it made two new canes this year, maybe forsake the newest one and provide a dormancy. Anyone feel free to contradict me, I may well be entirely wrong :D

Aedrich 12-20-2018 03:24 AM

It is really hard to find people with Catasetum experience. 😂 Most people are Phalaenopsis Experts.

katrina 12-20-2018 06:01 AM

Is this a young seedling or a more mature plant? What size is the pot?

isurus79 12-20-2018 12:58 PM

Looks ready for dormancy to me. Can you take a closer picture of the smaller growth and in better light?

Aedrich 12-21-2018 04:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you for all the replies.
Here are some pictures of this plant.
Image 1: I think it is the "parent pseudobulb" it is the oldest bulb in which the two big new growth came out of. (7cm or 2.7inches)

Image 2: is the most mature and the biggest of all the pseudobulbs. (14.5cm or 5.7inches)

Image 3: is the bulb that seems to need more growth unless it is already mature and that is how big it is. (7cm or 2.7inches)

Aedrich 12-21-2018 04:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the leaves

Aedrich 12-21-2018 04:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And lastly, the base of the plant. As you can see some roots are still active and green.

isurus79 12-21-2018 01:07 PM

To me this plant is leaning towards dormancy, but not quite there yet. Slowly drying it out will help its growth cycle get back on track.

I think you can repot this in the spring too. The media looks good (i.e. not spoiled), but its packed too loosely. I'd cram it in there when you repot. Tight moss holds less water than loose moss and tends to last longer. Loose moss quickly turns into a soggy, algae infested mess.