Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   Cymbidium plugs, 1st bloom in less than 1 year (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/99293-cymbidium-plugs-1st-bloom-1-a.html)

Fairorchids 11-29-2018 10:50 PM

Cymbidium plugs, 1st bloom in less than 1 year

2 Attachment(s)
Since Lois Duffins nursery is no more, there is very little Cymbidium production in the Northeast, so I have started to increase my Cymbidium collection. In early Dec 2017, I purchased 150 plugs from Hawaii, mostly seedlings, but also a few meristems.

In that batch, I got 5 Cym dayanum. They were small, but just starting new growths from the base of the original seedling ('bulb' smaller than a pea). I put them into a 5" compot with my regular terrestrial Cymbidium mix.

By July I started to break up the compots, and potted them individually in deep 4" square pots. Most were by then setting 3-4 new growths. One of these plants only set a single new growth, but it spiked and was in bloom by Thanksgiving (= 50 weeks from receipt as plug size).

In this group there are also a lot of warmth tolerant hybrids. These now have 'large walnut' size bulbs and are starting the next growth; I have some hope that I might see a few spikes from these in another year.

The mix that gives me this type of growth (combined with fertilizing every 2 weeks) consists of:
  • 3 parts chunky peat
  • 2 parts composted manure
  • 1 part bark
  • 1 part perlite

Azmahhh 12-02-2018 11:43 AM

Hi Kim! I am new to Cymbidiums and since I grow in the home under lights, I have been having bad luck trying to find the warm growing hybrids. I found a 'little black sambo' which looked healthy but bringing it home and repotting, two bulbs were rotten so I had to divide and get ride of almost half the plant, I do have three healthy bulbs on one cutting. Which hybrids would you recommend for the home grower which don't need as much cooling?

I have always been in awe of Cymbidiums as they make gorgeous show plants when in bloom and I love the foliage but have always been scared to try!

Thanks!

Fairorchids 12-03-2018 11:12 AM

Most of the hybrids coming out of Hawaii are warmth tolerant, and often 'table top' size, which means not quite full size. Some of these are Vanna White 'Mana', Peter Torch, Ming 'Emperor', Sanbar Perfection, Valerie Absolonova, and many others.

However, I put all of my mature Cymbidiums, irrespective of type, outside into full sun as soon as the last frost date has passed, and leave them there till first frost is forecast. That gives me a little sunburn, but much better growth & blooming.

Cym Ladye 12-14-2018 04:02 PM

I hate to be a naysayer, but Little Black Sambo is a terrible Cymbidium choice for growing in the home, even if you do put it outside in the summer, which I absolutely recommend. It grows to be a VERY robust plant and will take over your inside growing space in no time when grown to blooming size.

I highly recommend The Orchidpeople in Hawaii for a wide selection of warm growing and warmth tolerant Cymbidiums, far better sized to home growing than the primary madidum or canaliculatum hybrids, one of which you have. They are most knowledgeable, very friendly and reliable and they ship all over the US. Here is the link to their website: Orchidpeople Of Hawaii

They are also on Face Book. Happy hunting!

Dollythehun 12-15-2018 02:59 PM

Not that I could ever claim to know a fraction of what these members do. But, I found an interesting selection of miniature cymbs, some warmth tolerant at Santa Barbara Orchid Estates.

Santa Barbara Orchid Estate Home Page

Subrosa 12-15-2018 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a Cymbidium Sweetheart 'Spring Pearl' last year at this time because it was in bud and I had almost nothing going on orchid wise for Christmas. Unfortunately the seller wasn't the most communicative, and my email asking that he either delay shipping or add a heat pack and charge me went unreplied to, resulting in total bud loss. The seller assured me it was a warm tolerant plant, but from my research I wasn't thoroughly convinced. But it's currently in bud again, and should be open for Christmas. It's a very compact plant, unlike my Little Black Sambo, which is about 4' high with the pot and about as big across. And I divided it pretty much in half not too long ago!